Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP 305 - DHCP issues

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  IAP 305 - DHCP issues

Posted Nov 09, 2017 02:56 PM

Hello team, hoping someone can give me a hand on this one.

I setup 3x 305IAP's running latest firmware. Initially we were running them using Ent. WPA2 talking to an NPS, it took me a good couple of days messing with configs and trawling through guides but I eventually got it going, all but DHCP. Devices just wouldn't get an IP address. After a bit more reading and clicking all of a sudden it one day just started working. It was a bit of an anti-climactic success as I still don't know what I did that fixed it.

Now we have changed our wireless policy and no longer want to authenticate to AD, we just want WPA2-PSK on a separate VLAN. After setting this up I'm back to the no DHCP issue. Testing with an Android device I get, "Failed to obtain IP address" and the AP shows an IP address of 100.106.43.XXX. I've gone as far as adding an ACL on our router to ensure traffic can reach the server but I didn't have to do this for the Ent. WPA.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to go next!

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: IAP 305 - DHCP issues

Posted Nov 09, 2017 03:25 PM

1. Have you enabled DHCP on the Virtual controller (so not trough additional DHCP server)?

2. if yes, Have you set a fixed ip address for you virtual controller, which is allowed to NAT outside? 

point 1: aruba recommends this situation only in test or lab situations, it is always preffered to have the DHCP server not running on your virtual controller. 

point 2: This will be needed, cause the whole given subnet will be natted on this IP address. 

Hope these points will help you out!

• 3.  RE: IAP 305 - DHCP issues

Posted Nov 09, 2017 03:41 PM

Thanks for the response!

1. No, the VLAN that DHCP is working for is managed by the AD server. (i.e, scope is defined and active.)

2. I haven't set a static IP for the virtual controller. Will look into this, the office has just filled up with people so looks like I'll be working the weekend to fix this one! :/

• 4.  RE: IAP 305 - DHCP issues

Posted Nov 09, 2017 03:49 PM
    if the dhcp server is running from ad, the VC ip isn't mandatory. are the switchports trunked? if not, it would also be worth a try!

#AirheadsMobile

• 5.  RE: IAP 305 - DHCP issues

Posted Nov 09, 2017 03:57 PM

:Thumbs-up!:

Yep, switchports trunked. 

• 6.  RE: IAP 305 - DHCP issues

Posted Nov 09, 2017 05:33 PM

1. Is it possible to communicate if the terminal is fixed address?
    2. Is dhcp relay set correctly?

• 7.  RE: IAP 305 - DHCP issues

Posted Nov 09, 2017 05:34 PM

Think I might have found a lead...

• 8.  RE: IAP 305 - DHCP issues

Posted Nov 13, 2017 05:23 AM

Please share it with us!

• 9.  RE: IAP 305 - DHCP issues

Posted Nov 13, 2017 12:29 PM

Well this one appeared to be as simple as firewalling between the AP's and our router. Thought I'd checked all I could there but essentially there was no way the DHCP traffic could even get to the server. 

Where's the facepalm button!?!?

I added a switch port to the VLAN and plugged directly into it and got a 169 address. Just worked my way back from there and found it was the firewall.

Thanks for the inputs!