Network Management

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Install AirWave to Hyper-V Feb15-MHC

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Install AirWave to Hyper-V Feb15-MHC

Posted Feb 14, 2015 05:31 PM
      |   view attached

Install AirWave to Hyper-V Feb15-MHC

I  just installed AirWave successfully to a Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V.  So I document the installation with a few notes so you can avoid frustration of instalation hang or crash or application not runing at all.
    This tutorial is for AMP 8.0.6.3 ISO, Windows Server 2012 or 2012-R2. 

1.png

Figure 1: Before you can install Hyper-V service, you must enable Virtual Technology in the BIOS, which is disable by default.

2.jpg

Figure 2: Add Hyper-V role to Windows 2012 R2 server

3.jpg

Figure 3: Add Virtual Switch and made this switch connect to the network adapter that carries the network that you want AirWave on

Click next, Hyper-V will install.  
    After Hyper-V finishes installation and server reboots, run Hyper-V Manager

4.png

Figure 4: In Hyper-V Manager, click New, Virtual Machine to create a Virtual Machine

5.jpg

Figure 5: Give it a name

6.png

Figure 6: “Specify Generation” check Generation 1.  This is new for 2012 R2, if you are running 2012 Hyper-V, you don’t see this screen.

7.png

Figure 7: Assign 1024 Mb memory and check "Use Dynamic Memory for this virtual machine."  1024 MB startup will help machine boot faster.

8.jpg

Figure 8: Connect this machine to the Virtual switch that was created earlier in Figure 3.  This is where your AMP connects to your network.

9.png

Figure 9: Create a Virtual Hard Disk (VHD).  Size of VHD depends on your environment.  You cannot change this after it creates, so choose the size carefully.

10.jpg

Figure 10: Point your Virtual Machine to an iso image (or physical DVD)

When you click Finish, Hyper-V builds the Virtual Machine.

11.jpg

Figure 11: After Hype-V builds the machine, you can start it by right click the machine and start.

12.jpg

Figure 12: type "install" at the boot prompt, CentOS will start to install

In few minutes installation stops and lets you know that “eth0 is not available”.  Go back to Hyper-V Manager, click Settings.  You need to modify the network settings.  All Linux virtual machines are not working with normal Hyper-V NIC, you need to change it to “Legacy Network Adapter”

13.png

Figure 13: In this screen you can do all differnt setting parameters for your virtual machine.  We are going to change Network settings.

14.jpg

Figure 14: Remove the default Network Adapter.

15.jpg
     Figure 15: Add "Legacy Network Adapter"

16.png

Figure 16: When you are in the settings, give AirWave at least 2 proc, check hardware requirement for your environment.  You must give this machine 2 proc or more or AMP will fail to install. 

This setting can be changed after installation if you require more than 2 proc.

After done with Settings, start AirWave, give 30 minutes for CentOS to install.  
    After CentOS finishes installation, reboot, and login as “root”, with password “admin” and run ./amp-install.
    Step 1 and 2 are simple.  It is a big lie in AMP installation step 3 as it states “This will take a few minutes.”  Give it a few hours for this installation. 

When AMP installation completes, if it hang, just reboot and continue to step 4.     
    If you watch the installation in details (CTRL-ALT-F9,) you will see errors, warnings, pauses, just be patient and let it works through.
    I hope I did not leave out any crucial step that causes the installation to fail.  
    Let me know if you have any questions or problems. 

And don’t forget to KUDOS!

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Hyper-V AMP.pdf   1.36 MB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Install AirWave to Hyper-V Feb15-MHC

Posted Feb 15, 2015 01:00 AM
    Nice one.

• 3.  RE: Install AirWave to Hyper-V Feb15-MHC

Posted Mar 16, 2015 04:51 PM

Hi ngurti,

I'm a little late kudo'ing this post - sorry for that. I definitely want to thank you for putting this together!

-Mike

• 4.  RE: Install AirWave to Hyper-V Feb15-MHC

Posted Oct 02, 2015 04:59 PM

I've followed all the steps to the "t" but everytime I complete the install my Hyper-V VM locks up after the AMP install.   I can get back to login screen and put in the default credentials, it show the latest version is installed.  The cursor blinks for about 30 seconds then stops. I loose all keyboard and mouse function.  please help

• 5.  RE: Install AirWave to Hyper-V Feb15-MHC

Posted Oct 02, 2015 10:45 PM

Did you give it 2 procs as in figure 16? 

Also startup memory at 4096 MB

If you are installing AMP 8, you don't need to change to "legacy network interface"