Network Management

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

This thread has been viewed 36 times
  • 1.  Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

Posted Aug 03, 2017 03:13 AM

Hello Everyone,

Wondering if i could gather some help with regards to monitoring Airwave.

We have a monitoring service that needs to poll the airwave system for monitoring with UP/Down Icmp and SNMP monitoring. However I can't seem to get this to work.

What is the initial setup of this.

I have access to the Airwave server but hot the host server.

I can access via SSH command line and the GUI but no other way.

How would I go about setting up an snmp client on the Airwave system?

Kind Regards,

James

• 2.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 03, 2017 04:34 AM

Hi James,

You want to montior the UP/Down status of Airwave server or devices which Airwave montioring through exteranal NMS server?

We have triggers for APs device down/up and  system resources trigger for CPU and memory utilization in system>trigger page. We could set trigger condition and export to external NMS server.

In AMP Setup -> NMS, download the AMP MIBs and upload them into your external SNMP, and then assign the proper reaction from your external SNMP.

Regards,

Pavan

• 3.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

Posted Aug 03, 2017 05:40 AM

Hi Pavon,

No nothing to do with the AP's at this point.

I purely want to monitor the Airwave server and its services/resource.

So I would be looking to monitor without the use of Traps.

CPU

Memory

Disk Space

Network Interfaces

etc, etc

So its purely our NMS > Poller > Airwave monitoring. Not Airwaive to NMS.

We need to be able to poll airwave from an SNMP Monitoring tool.

• 4.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

• 5.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

Posted Sep 07, 2017 10:34 AM
    Really not interested in starting a flame war, but is this possible on 8.2.4?

• 6.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

Posted Feb 01, 2018 10:42 AM

wrote:
    Really not interested in starting a flame war, but is this possible on 8.2.4?

Hello, I would also like to learn how it's possible to set up SNMP monitoring. I'm in 8.2.5 and am trying to configure HP IMC and Observium to work, but no SNMP types are working (1-3).

Please advise

• 7.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

Posted Feb 02, 2018 03:39 AM

Even following the previous mentioned guides to the installation and setup of SNMP for Airwave, it is still not fully funtional. I do think HP/Aruba should provide this as a standard to help their customer's provide a fully monitored solution.

• 8.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 05, 2018 09:51 AM

-edit since i just read through the whole thread-

I haven't dug into that code for a long time, but enabling the NMS setup used to take care of the SNMPD setup in the background when enabled - sending traps.  And then you'd import the AMP mibs into whatever monitoring tool you're using to translate the traps.

Otherwise it'd be a feature request to get the SNMPD configurable for polling.

• 9.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

Posted Feb 05, 2018 09:54 AM
    wrote:

Did you ever try the AMP Setup -> NMS section?  I haven't dug into that code for a long time, but it used to take care of the SNMPD setup in the background when enabled.  And then you'd import the AMP mibs into whatever monitoring tool you're using.

Hello, yes I have. SNMP is configured, and I've tried all 3 versions on ports 161 and 162, but am still receiving errors from both Observium and HPE IMC. Is there a log file I can attach? Thanks.

• 10.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 05, 2018 10:05 AM

Sorry, you might have missed my edit.  So the code in-place generates SNMP traps based on events/triggers.  It doesn't setup SNMPD for polling.  It's a feature request to add into the ideas portal.

• 11.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

Posted Feb 05, 2018 10:09 AM

wrote:

Sorry, you might have missed my edit.  So the code in-place generates SNMP traps based on events/triggers.  It doesn't setup SNMPD for polling.  It's a feature request to add into the ideas portal.

That's disappointing. Thank you.

• 12.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

Posted Feb 05, 2018 10:08 AM

Hi,

This is what is need the SNMPd for polling not just for Traps.

When you say feature request would this be achargeable as I would of thought monitoring a system is standard these day's?

Kind Regards,

James Clayton

• 13.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 05, 2018 10:26 AM

wrote:

This is what is need the SNMPd for polling not just for Traps.

When you say feature request would this be achargeable as I would of thought monitoring a system is standard these day's?

When the AMPCLI menu was introduced, there were a lot of things that users had control of that were missing.  8.2.5.1's introduction of the 'enter commands' option began to handle some things like date, top, daemons, while 8.2.6 will add ping, traceroute, snmpwalk, and some other cmds.

This thread is the 1st feedback about needing SNMPD poll-able, which means it wasn't on the radar from development/QA - that's where it'd be a feature request so that it reaches the product team.  Filing it just lets the product team know that it's something you'd like to see, and other customers can help upvote the idea since usually the requests with the most votes get implemented.

• 14.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

Posted Feb 06, 2018 09:57 AM

When the AMPCLI menu was introduced, there were a lot of things that users had control of that were missing. 

Surely there would be a roadmap to reintroduce those features?

• 15.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 06, 2018 10:22 AM

There is a roadmap that is being worked off of, but it's didn't have the above usage case.  This probably means the sample of customers who provided feedback didn't utilized external monitoring of AMP.

• 16.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

Posted Mar 02, 2018 04:16 AM

we would also need an external monitoring of the airwave server, because the hard disk is always full and the trigger function of the airwave is not suitable for this.
    please let us know when this feature is coming.

• 17.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

Posted May 01, 2018 02:00 AM

Is there already a feature request added for this?

We would also like to have this feature because of monitoring of full disks.

• 18.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 01, 2018 04:27 PM

The innovation portal only shows 1 vote on the 2 entries I'm watching:

Poll AirWave SNMPD: https://innovate.arubanetworks.com/ideas/MISC-I-585

Poll AirWave SNMPv3: https://innovate.arubanetworks.com/ideas/NMS-I-431

These need more votes if PLM is going to try to push for making the change.

• 19.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

Posted May 02, 2018 01:57 AM

Is an end customer allowed to vote for this?

I am not able to login into the innovate portal.

• 20.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

Posted May 02, 2018 04:09 AM

Hi Rob,

These links do not work.

I have tried searching the innovation site individually as well and no joy.

Please can you re-post.

@rginwrote:

The innovation portal only shows 1 vote on the 2 entries I'm watching:

Poll AirWave SNMPD: https://innovate.arubanetworks.com/ideas/MISC-I-585

Poll AirWave SNMPv3: https://innovate.arubanetworks.com/ideas/NMS-I-431

These need more votes if PLM is going to try to push for making the change.

• 21.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 02, 2018 10:12 AM

That's news to me!  Looks like all the entries are updated by employees, sales reps or partners.

• 22.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

Posted May 03, 2018 04:16 AM

That's what i also figured out.

I am a customer, and would like to vote for this request.
    Else i don't think you really get much votes for this, because most partners i guess don't need this. This is mostly use in operation and not during projects.

• 23.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

Posted Oct 30, 2018 12:07 PM

Hello,

I have an Airwave with 8.2.6.1 firmware, an external monitoring system is requesting it by snmp (GetRequest system.sysUpTime.0) but Airwave isn´t answered.

$ tcpdump port 161
    tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
    listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 65535 bytes
    16:13:54.018458 IP 10.0.128.84.46396 > redWifiArubaR.snmp:  GetRequest(28)  system.sysUpTime.0
    16:14:24.045036 IP 10.0.128.84.46396 > redWifiArubaR.snmp:  GetRequest(28)  system.sysUpTime.0
    16:16:13.269786 IP 10.0.128.84.56652 > redWifiArubaR.snmp:  GetRequest(28)  system.sysUpTime.0
    16:16:43.298915 IP 10.0.128.84.56652 > redWifiArubaR.snmp:  GetRequest(28)  system.sysUpTime.0
    16:18:13.252508 IP 10.0.128.84.54447 > redWifiArubaR.snmp:  GetRequest(28)  system.sysUpTime.0
    16:18:43.280854 IP 10.0.128.84.54447 > redWifiArubaR.snmp:  GetRequest(28)  system.sysUpTime.0
    16:20:15.494277 IP 10.0.128.84.50553 > redWifiArubaR.snmp:  GetRequest(28)  system.sysUpTime.0
    16:20:45.523152 IP 10.0.128.84.50553 > redWifiArubaR.snmp:  GetRequest(28)  system.sysUpTime.0
    16:22:18.030815 IP 10.0.128.84.42072 > redWifiArubaR.snmp:  GetRequest(28)  system.sysUpTime.0
    16:22:48.059898 IP 10.0.128.84.42072 > redWifiArubaR.snmp:  GetRequest(28)  system.sysUpTime.0
    ^C
    10 packets captured
    10 packets received by filter
    0 packets dropped by kernel

I guess "SNMPD for polling" isn´t still enable on this version (8.2.6.1), isn´t it?

I´m checking 8.2.6 official documents and i don´t see that option was enabled.

Thank you.

Best regards,

• 24.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 30, 2018 01:28 PM

Correct, it became a known feature request to add the ability to configure AirWave to be SNMP pollable.  Right now, there's no SNMPD running in the background.  With the current AMPCLI options, there's no way to configure it.

• 25.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

Posted Oct 01, 2023 11:54 AM

43 votes on https://innovate.arubanetworks.com/ideas/NMS-I-894 set to future consideration, all in 2018.

now 5 years later.

did anything happen in this area? any new information?

• 26.  RE: Installation and Config of SNMP Client for External Monitoring of Airwave Server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 03, 2023 09:38 AM

No. This may not be added to AMP. Current option is to work with TAC to enable SNMPD from root access.

------------------------------
    Regards
    Gowri Amujuri
    ------------------------------