Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant GUI service constantly restarting in Airwave AMP 7.7.5

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Instant GUI service constantly restarting in Airwave AMP 7.7.5

Posted Oct 19, 2013 05:15 PM

I had been experimenting with the ICG Instant config gui on AMP version 7.7.4.

I was happy to see that 7.7.5 came out and I quickly upgraded AMP versions.

Once the system came up I got this message....

IGC engine is not currently running. It may be disabled. Enable it on the Groups Basic page. The engine may take a few minutes to start after it is enabled.

The instant GUI is enabled on the particular IAP cluster group I am using.

When I went to the event log this is what I see.

Sat Oct 19 14:59:25 2013SystemSystemRestarting service IGC   
    Sat Oct 19 14:59:11 2013SystemSystemRestarting service IGC   
    Sat Oct 19 14:58:55 2013SystemSystemRestarting service IGC   
    Sat Oct 19 14:58:41 2013SystemSystemRestarting service IGC   
    Sat Oct 19 14:58:25 2013SystemSystemRestarting service IGC   
    Sat Oct 19 14:58:10 2013SystemSystemRestarting service IGC   
    Sat Oct 19 14:57:56 2013SystemSystemRestarting service IGC   
    Sat Oct 19 14:57:41 2013SystemSystemRestarting service IGC   
    Sat Oct 19 14:57:25 2013SystemSystemRestarting service IGC   
    Sat Oct 19 14:57:10 2013SystemSystemRestarting service IGC   
    Sat Oct 19 14:56:56 2013SystemSystemRestarting service IGC   
    Sat Oct 19 14:56:40 2013SystemSystemRestarting service IGC   
    Sat Oct 19 14:56:25 2013SystemSystemRestarting service IGC   
    Sat Oct 19 14:56:10 2013SystemSystemRestarting service IGC

It seems that the Instant GUI service cannot start.

I rebooted my system.  Deleted all groups that ever used ICG  on ver. 7.7.4.

I had a TAC tech look at it with no success.  It has been elevated but no info yet.

Anybody have any ideas??

Adam@Vail

• 2.  RE: Instant GUI service constantly restarting in Airwave AMP 7.7.5

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 21, 2013 07:45 AM

Would it be possible to spin up an eval VM and import a backup of your config into that instance and re-test?  

• 3.  RE: Instant GUI service constantly restarting in Airwave AMP 7.7.5
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 21, 2013 11:07 AM

It's possible that although you deleted the groups that had IGC (Instant GUI Config) enabled, that there may be some remnants affecting the daemon.  Are there any error / crashes in the /var/log/igc/igc.log?

If you just want to see IGC without further debugging, make sure all groups have IGC disabled, then run the following on the AMP CLI:

# dbc 'delete from igc.group;'

This will reset all data related to IGC to null.  Then create a new group, enable IGC, allow IGC 3-5 minutes to spin up the appropriate rpm packages before working with IGC.  This load time should be a one-time event as it loads java packages specific to IGC which otherwise are not loaded for non-IGC users.

• 4.  RE: Instant GUI service constantly restarting in Airwave AMP 7.7.5

Posted Oct 22, 2013 10:50 AM

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the help.

I performed the command as you listed and it appears to have worked.

I am now able to access the instant GUI.

Thanks so much for the help.

One other thing if you don't mind.

When I set the timezone for the Virtual Controller in IGC, I get an override symbol by the setting. 

I am guessing that AMP is acting as system time and by making a change in the IGC I am creating the override.

Is there a proper way to configure this setting?

Thanks a ton,

Adam@Vail

• 5.  RE: Instant GUI service constantly restarting in Airwave AMP 7.7.5

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2013 12:19 PM

If you expand the VC menu and highlight a VC when making a change -> that puts you in the VC context which will result in an override.  If you don't want the change as an override, then make the change in group context without highlighting the VC.

Group Context:

igc-groupcontext.jpg

VC Context:

igc-VCcontext.jpg

Note: The Network list and VC menu show the focus you're working in.

Cheat note: When you collapse the VC menu, it's auto removes any VC focus.

• 6.  RE: Instant GUI service constantly restarting in Airwave AMP 7.7.5

Posted Oct 22, 2013 12:44 PM

Ok cool that makes sense.

I guess I am confused as to why there is a "Group" context list as well as a "VC" context list.

I was under the impression that there could only be one VC inside a group.

What is the benefit of this?

I can't thank you enough for your time and input.

Regards,

Adam@Vail

• 7.  RE: Instant GUI service constantly restarting in Airwave AMP 7.7.5

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2013 12:46 PM
    The benefit is in the retail sector. Imagine 500 stores across the United States. Each store has the same exact configuration in terms of the instant AP. All 500 virtual controllers are part of the same group in Airwave.

With the instant GUI configuration you can make a global change to all 500 or drill down to a particular virtual controller and make a store specific change.

Sent from my iPhone

• 8.  RE: Instant GUI service constantly restarting in Airwave AMP 7.7.5

Posted Oct 22, 2013 12:51 PM

ok so I can add multiple VC's to a particular group? Yes!

• 9.  RE: Instant GUI service constantly restarting in Airwave AMP 7.7.5

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2013 12:52 PM
    Yes. Absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone

• 10.  RE: Instant GUI service constantly restarting in Airwave AMP 7.7.5

Posted Oct 22, 2013 10:47 AM

Thanks Seth for the response.

I am unable to spin up a VM at this time.

I appreciate the help.

Rob's command has repaired the issue.

Adam

• 11.  RE: Instant GUI service constantly restarting in Airwave AMP 7.7.5

Posted Oct 22, 2013 05:29 PM

Hey Guys,

I have another question about managing IAP's with airwave.

I am constantly getting mismatches and I have read the documentation and have even has TAC techs offer soulution which do not work.

I am using DHCP option 43 to input my Airwave server and shared secret.  This works fine.

What is the proper way to add an already configured cluster to Airwave and use the IGC?

Why do I get mismatches? Why does IGC sometimes overwrite the Airwave server info on the VC's?

What is the proper way to add an uncofigured cluster(s) to Airwave and use the IGC?

Should I add the VC that appears in the "new devices" to my group in monitored or  managed mode.

Airwave adds all the IAP's once the VC is added in monitor mode.   If IGC is enabled,  I cannot change them to managed mode without disabling the IGC and then changing the IAP's. 

So far I cannot make the connections.

I appreciate anything you can offer.

Adam@Vail

• 12.  RE: Instant GUI service constantly restarting in Airwave AMP 7.7.5

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2013 06:31 PM

If using IGC, the concept of monitor vs managed is no longer there.  IGC will push if 'save & apply' is ever selected.

Added devices from 'new devices' will go into a folder/group based on Org string.  If you're devices are pre-configured and going into a group that already has IGC enabled -> make sure that Auto-Config VC is disabled.

igc-autoconfig.jpg

Best practices for a deployment that's moving from templates to IGC while still expanding:

Preconfigured APs:

a) Want to keep preconfigured settings?  Then make sure Auto-config VC is disabled.  May be a good idea to separate VCs based on their configs.

b) Want to overwrite preconfigured AP with group setting?  Then make sure Auto-config VC is enabled.  As soon as AP is added, after the 1st audit, IGC will push config to the AP and overwrite existing config.

New APs:

a) Want to adopt a specific group's config?  Make sure that the group the IAP is about to be added in already has Auto-config VC enabled.

b) Want to start a new config from scratch?  Make sure that the group the IAP is about to be added in already has Auto-config VC disabled.  Alternatively, create new group -> add the new IAP to that new group -> then build config as desired.

Keep in mind that the folder the IAP is added into is based on the ORG string, so be aware of where the IAPs are going to be added when you add.  You will see which folder / group the IAP will go into based on the confirm page when you try to add from new devices

iap add.jpg

Even through I had selected Folder: rob / Group: rob, it would try to redirect to the folder / group from the Org string

• 13.  RE: Instant GUI service constantly restarting in Airwave AMP 7.7.5

Posted Oct 22, 2013 07:18 PM

Ok that is what I wanted to believe. I will make sure the auto config settings are verified before I add VC's.

I still notice that Airwave is not changing the IAP names listed in the monitor sub-tab. IGC has the right names. VC's have the right names. Wrong in Group>Monitor list.

Also I created a wireless network and it's security settings are correct on IGC but wrong on the IAP. If I delete the network, it goes away on the IAP. If I add it back via IGC, it reappears but still has the wrong security settings.

Airwave says no mismatches.  I am going to delete the VC config and reboot the iap and see if that fixes it.

I tried to take snips to show you but get a "Message cannot exceed 20,000 characters." error. 

Maybe the IAP is holdong on to some oler config. Thoughts?

• 14.  RE: Instant GUI service constantly restarting in Airwave AMP 7.7.5

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2013 06:01 PM

Currently there's a known defect that the name change update happens within IGC, but doesn't propagate back to the AMP group monitoring page.

The latter part I'd have to try to recreate and confirm with the developers.

• 15.  RE: Instant GUI service constantly restarting in Airwave AMP 7.7.5

Posted Oct 23, 2013 06:43 PM

OK so the name change is a known issue.

I tried to create another Wireless network using Enterprise Both WPA & WPA2 security with Radius server authentication.

It did the same thing where the IGC had the right configuration and created on the VC but the security was at WPA-personal and not Enterprise.  If I look at the VC configuration,  the radius server info is there but the encryption types are not all there.

It baffles me.

I also have noticed that when I was creating a Wireless network using Personal encryption, either WPA-2 or both, I am not allowed to use special characters. 

My co-worker just had the same thing happen to him as well.   We are just recreating a pre shared key that we already use on our Controler based Aruba system.  I am pretty sure I create the network before and it wirked fine in 7.7.4.

More food for thought.

Thanks for all your help.

Adam@vail

• 16.  RE: Instant GUI service constantly restarting in Airwave AMP 7.7.5

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 24, 2013 02:39 PM

Thanks for the update.  We'll work with the Instant team to take a closer look at this behavior.