Network Management

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Is there a way to script changes in Airwave?

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Is there a way to script changes in Airwave?

Posted Sep 22, 2015 12:32 AM

I'm making many changes in Airwave and rather than click-click-clicking around and waiting for the screen to update, I'd like to script out the changes and do them all at once. Specifically, I'm currently updating 25 locations with two IAPs each. My process is:

- Change virtual controller and 2 IAPs at a site from Managed to Read-Only

- Delete the 3 devices from Airwave

- When delete is done, delete the folder

- then I SSH into the virtual controller and issue the "write erase all reboot" command

- When IAPs come up and talk to Airwave, they use newly created DHCP options at the store location to create a new subfolder and download their config from a new template. They also upgrade/downgrade their firmware automatically.

Appreciate any ideas..I'm going to need to do this to hundreds of stores in the future.

• 2.  RE: Is there a way to script changes in Airwave?

Posted Oct 05, 2015 06:22 PM

bump

• 3.  RE: Is there a way to script changes in Airwave?

Posted Oct 06, 2015 05:05 AM

Hi,

Cannot help you with scripting changes on Airware but would like to know more about "they use newly created DHCP options at the store location to create a new subfolder and download their config from a new template."

Are you saying specific DHCP options can place the devices in specific folders within Airwave structire instead of going to 'New Devices' ?

• 4.  RE: Is there a way to script changes in Airwave?

Posted Oct 06, 2015 12:56 PM
    Hi AdrianK,

Yes, here's an example of the DHCP options we're using for particular folder structure. In this example, Option 43 tells Airwave to put this IAP cluster into Group StrFFSandal under subfolder 61040:

option 60 ascii "ArubaInstantAP"
    option 43 ascii "StrFFSandal:61040,[snipped IP of Airwave server],[snipped pre-shared key for group]"

Patrick

• 5.  RE: Is there a way to script changes in Airwave?

Posted Oct 09, 2015 12:34 AM

Did you ever figure this out? I'm doing the same thing right now mainly I got 400+ sites most 105s and I'm move to a Group Name Based on AP205 Profile - Which helps manage templates and other stuff. 

It be fanastic if you got it working good; still labing and getting the right firmware I want to standardize my new 205 Group on before I start move IAPs from one group over to another in your deployment steps. 

Your Example 

- Change virtual controller and 2 IAPs at a site from Managed to Read-Only

- Delete the 3 devices from Airwave

- When delete is done, delete the folder

- then I SSH into the virtual controller and issue the "write erase all reboot"

This truly proves I need to master python fast. 

• 6.  RE: Is there a way to script changes in Airwave?

Posted Oct 09, 2015 01:27 AM

WiFiHammer,

It works really well for us so far except for the individual moves. I spoke with the Airwave program manager Dan Comfort a couple days ago about this. He says there is no real way to do this programatically right now but they plan on implementing an API in 2016 that would help with this.

Good luck with your implementation and let me know if I can help. You can find me on Twitter @swackhap, or here of course.

Swack