Network Management

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

License warning in AirWave

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  License warning in AirWave

Posted May 17, 2017 06:02 PM

Hi guys,

I have an AMP with a license for 16 APs, but currently the cluster have 17 APs. At the top right of the dashboard I can see the following warning:

warning.PNG

Of course this warning is because there is one more AP the AMP is licensed for, but because of that am I limited to something? Maybe I only can configure 16 APs and not 17? Or maybe I can monitor 16 APs and not 17? So my question is what is the problem of exceeding the number of APs according to the license?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: License warning in AirWave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 18, 2017 05:05 AM

Hi Julian,

In Home page we see license usage prompt message based on License APs Usage Threshold (5-100): setting in AMP Setup > General page.

Example if we have 100 license and set threshold to 90, once Airwave license usage reaches 90 it will prompt message that 90% of your licnese been utlized.

In your case license usage exceeded and we no longer able to add new deivces to Airwave. You could montior and mange all your 17 devices.

Note: We allow few devices even license usage got exceeded but later we no longer able to add or discover devices.

Regards,

Pavan

If my post addresses your query, give kudos:)

• 3.  RE: License warning in AirWave

Posted May 18, 2017 08:12 AM

Hi Pavan,

Thanks for your response. Then, if I have 16 licenses but 17 APs and I am able to manage all these APs, I understand this is because we allow few devices even license usage got exceeded as you said. Do you know the number of devices we allow over the license usage?

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: License warning in AirWave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 18, 2017 08:25 AM

Not sure exact number but it will be in low value. Since your license got exceeded I would recommand to buy new license, instead trying to add new devices and check status.

Regards,

Pavan

• 5.  RE: License warning in AirWave

Posted May 18, 2017 09:31 AM

Hi Pavan,

I will not try to add new devices and check the status. I only asked for curiosity. Many thanks!

Regards,

Julián

• 6.  RE: License warning in AirWave

Posted Jun 21, 2017 06:59 PM

How do iAP virtual controllers enter in to the license counting?

I have 2200 licences, 2297 "Up," 3 "Down" - of these 122 are virtual controllers -- and so I'm answering my own question.

2300 devices in the database, less 122 virtual gives me 2178 non-virtual, which agrees with the "Approved Devices" count on my licenses page.

Math works better when you write it down - I was trying to make sense of it in my head and the addition and subtraction got me all mixed up.

• 7.  RE: License warning in AirWave

Posted Jun 22, 2017 11:03 AM

Hi Mathew,

As far as I know, VCs doesn't enter for license counting. I have AirWave with 16 licenses, a cluster of 16 APs and 1 VC. My license usage is 100% and is not overused.

Regards,

Julián

• 8.  RE: License warning in AirWave

Posted Jun 22, 2017 11:22 AM

Agreed, the VC adds to the "Up devices" count but doesn't consume a seat.

• 9.  RE: License warning in AirWave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 22, 2017 04:57 PM

VC is a virtual representation - it's still part of an AP that's already counted as being monitored.  The count should represent the physical hardware being monitored in the licensing count.

As far as behavior once you exceed the count, I haven't tried with IAPs, but if the devices hit the new devices page, the button to add would be greyed out.