Network Management

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

Posted Oct 19, 2015 09:09 PM

Hello,

We have about 135 connected users currently using the APs on our network.   It shows 135 connected devices under clients.   Likewise if I connect to the AP cluster directly on the home page it shows the same number.   When I click on Visual RF it shows my 10 APs.but it only shows about 6 connected clients.

I'm running 8.0.9.1 and have 16GB of memory dedicated to the VM which has a disk size of 127GB.

I'm new to Alcatel wireless and I've never tried OV before.

• 2.  RE: Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 20, 2015 06:10 AM

On the VisualRF page, instead of Maps, click on List to see if it details how many APs and clients are on that floor...

• 3.  RE: Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

Posted Oct 20, 2015 10:45 AM

Thanks - same issue on the list page in Visual RF.  It shows my APs but all the connected clients.

• 4.  RE: Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 20, 2015 10:50 AM

Just to be clear, does it show 135 devices in the list view or not?

• 5.  RE: Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

Posted Oct 20, 2015 10:55 AM

Hello,

It is early morning so currently there are only 35 clients connected.    It shows that at the top of the screen

UP -12 devices, Down 0, mismatched 0 ... Clients 35

If you select visual RF

Go to list view instead of map

It shows the APs in the APs column but in the clients column  it isn't currently showing ANY clients even though above on that same page it shows clients 35.

• 6.  RE: Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 21, 2015 04:17 PM

Hello,

The issue is resolved.  Changing the virtual controller ID seems to have resolved the problem

• 7.  RE: Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

Posted Oct 21, 2015 06:06 PM

Would you please elaborate?  Where did you make that change?

• 8.  RE: Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

Posted Oct 21, 2015 08:59 PM

In the CLI of the AP you can change the virtual controller key but since I don't know it that well, you can go to maintenance in the GUI, then make a backup, modify the file in wordpad and then restore it.

• 9.  RE: Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

Posted Oct 22, 2015 12:35 PM

Boe, I would like to know more about this "Virtual Controller ID", what is that and what does it do? I have had issues before with clients not showing up and turned out to be that the controllers "enable" password wasn't correct so the Airwave could not gather up all of the information about the clients. Some sites I still have issues with, even though I have the correct Enable password. 

• 10.  RE: Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

Posted Oct 22, 2015 12:47 PM

I'm a complete newbie so you'd probably best get someone else to answer but I'll give you what I got.   I think the airwave communicates with the AP cluster and the virutal controller ID is how it knows which cluster is which when gathering info.  I think it might be possible for it to cache an incorrect ID so they don't reliably transfer info/statistics.   I think it regathered the key information for good communication when changing the virtual controller id - about the 3rd line down in the identity file it downloads when you make a backup. 

• 11.  RE: Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

Posted Nov 18, 2015 08:35 PM

Hi,

After I upgraded to v8.0.9.2 and several reboots, my clients don't appear anymore on my VisualRF floor plans. When I display in List view the Clients column shows '0'. When I search for a client and goes to the details, the Floor Plan doesn't show anymore. Is there a bug on v8.0.9.2?

Ariel

• 12.  RE: Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 18, 2015 08:44 PM

Do you remember what you upgraded from?

Are you using controller-based or instant-based APs?

• 13.  RE: Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

Posted Nov 19, 2015 09:03 AM

Hi Colin,

From v8.0.7.1 and I'm using IAP with one being the virtual controller.

Ariel

• 14.  RE: Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

Posted Nov 19, 2015 09:21 AM

Oh, it's working now. After disabling VisualRF on Setup tab and rebooting the AMP server. I left it disabled overnight. When I enabled it this morning, I see the clients appearing on the floor plans. When I search for a client, there's now an entry on the Floor Plan column. Thanks Colin for giving attention to my post.

Ariel

• 15.  RE: Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

Posted Nov 19, 2015 12:24 PM

Hi Colin,

Sorry, it was just a preemptive success I should say. I cannot see the NEW clients on my VisualRF floor plans. What's only there are the clients shortly after I reboot the AMP server (please see my previous post). The new clients have been connected/associated on my APs for almost 2 hours but not appearing yet on my VisualRF. Any possible solution?

Thanks.

Ariel

• 16.  RE: Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

Posted Nov 19, 2015 02:02 PM

Verify the APs show as UP in airwave.  I had an issue where they were saying up and down all the time even though they were all up and functioning for the customer.

• 17.  RE: Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

Posted May 11, 2016 04:36 PM

I have the same issue. in VisualRF - list view I see 0 clients ecent though I have almost 200 showing up in group view. All APs are up. I'm running 8.2.0.1.

• 18.  RE: Most clients/devices not showing up in Visual RF

Posted May 11, 2016 09:39 PM

Hi,

I was having the same issue but have just upgraded to 8.2.0.2 and this has fixed my problem. Clients and rogues now showing up in Visual RF.