Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Moving AIC and APs to a new VLAN with Airwave

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Moving AIC and APs to a new VLAN with Airwave

Posted Mar 27, 2017 03:12 PM

I need to move my AIC and the 18 asociated APs to a new VLAN. I am running Airwave 8.2.0.1 and have that controlling my AICs and the associated APs. I tried to put one of the APs that is not in a heavily used region over on the new VLAN by changing the port on the Aruba 2920 switch to the new VLAN.

That worked and the AP came up in the new VLAN and in Airwave I see it. But, since it was associated with the AIC from the original VLAN, I now have the original AIC in the original VLAN and I have the same AIC name showing in the "New Devices" section in Airwave.

So, before I make a giant mess of things, what is the proper way to move the AIC and APs to a different VLAN? And should I remove that second name that is in "New Devices" and if so, how?

Cheers

Dave

• 2.  RE: Moving AIC and APs to a new VLAN with Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 28, 2017 06:56 AM

What is an AIC?

• 3.  RE: Moving AIC and APs to a new VLAN with Airwave

Posted Mar 28, 2017 09:03 AM

Sorry, my shorthand for naming the device. I got that from Aruba Instant Controller when doing the initial setup.

Hope that helps. 

• 4.  RE: Moving AIC and APs to a new VLAN with Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 28, 2017 08:46 AM

Does slave IAP got new IP after changing the VLAN?

Does the slave device status showing as UP in APs/Devcies>monitor page and when you click on VC link , is it taking you to the old VC montior page or the one which is discoverd in new device list?

Regards,

pavan

• 5.  RE: Moving AIC and APs to a new VLAN with Airwave

Posted Mar 28, 2017 08:58 AM

The slave device wass showing as Down in the monitor page, but it did show the new IP address. When clicking on the VC (Virtual Controller) link it takes me to the old one and not the one the monitor picked up. All of the old system appears to be working. But now if I try to push a policy it look slike it wants to disassociate evrything so I dare not do that now.

I moved the slave AP back to the original vlan and now it shows as UP, but I still show the second VC. I do not have an outage window until Saturday, so this may need to wait until then if this could be destructive.

Also, I keep forgetting about some of these drop downs. It looks like I can either delete the new VC found by monitoring or Ignore it. Is there a better option?

• 6.  RE: Moving AIC and APs to a new VLAN with Airwave
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 28, 2017 10:59 AM

If IAPs getting new IP address then it will discover as new IAPs. If you OK to loss the graph data of those IAPs in Airwave, what we could do is change the VLAN of VCs and other slave IAPs which automatically bring all the devices status as down in Airwave and those will re-discovered again in new devices list. We could manually acknwoledge those devices in montior only mode in Airwave and delete old enteires.

Note: Change the VC VLAN and wait and see whether it will show the status as down or UP(with new IP) in Airwave. If it shows UP with new IP in Airwave, then remaning slave IAPs automatically shows UP after changing the VLANs. If VCs shows down after changing VLAN in Airwave , please follow above steps.

• 7.  RE: Moving AIC and APs to a new VLAN with Airwave

Posted Mar 28, 2017 11:43 AM

Great. That sounds pretty straight forward. So the following steps should take care of it:

1. Change VLAN of the VC and let it come up

2. Change VLAN of the IAPs and Let them come up. I will do a no power-over-ethernet, change vlan, then power-over-ethernet to let them come up clean on new vlan

Thanks for the help. I was hoping it would be that straight forward and it sounds like it will be. 

Cheers

Dave