Network Management

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

New Installation - Mismatched Configuration

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  New Installation - Mismatched Configuration

Posted Mar 13, 2019 02:03 PM

Hello!

I've read a few posts on this, but just want to make sure I get this right before I take action.

I have a newly installed AirWave and Controller. Everything is set up and working correctly, all APs are working, end users are happy, and so on.

When the AirWave audits my Controller, its "Desired Configuration" is looking for wrong settings - basically the out-of-box defaults. For instance, it is set to check that there is no VLAN on the Controller, and it is saying that the configured VLAN on the Controller is wrong. Also, the AirWave is expecting the Enable password to be blank, but the Controller does have a complex Enable password. (you get the picture)

I think that if I go to the Airwave - APs/Devices - Audit and click the Import button ( "Update group settings based on this device's current configuration") it will copy the correct settings from my Controller to the AirWave's "Desired Configuration" list, and future audits will show green/good.

Do I have this right?

• 2.  RE: New Installation - Mismatched Configuration
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 13, 2019 04:56 PM

If you are NOT using Airwvave to configure your controller, you can ignore the mismatch messages.  You would have to import your configuration and set your controller to "Managed" in Airwave to rid yourself of the mismatched messages.

• 3.  RE: New Installation - Mismatched Configuration
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 13, 2019 06:55 PM

Hello Layer 8,

For your comment:

" I think that if I go to the Airwave - APs/Devices - Audit and click the Import button ( "Update group settings based on this device's current configuration") it will copy the correct settings from my Controller to the AirWave's "Desired Configuration" list, and future audits will show green/good. "

Absolutely, it will stay good, till you make any more configuration changes on the controller, as your device is in monitor only mode, once you make any new changes, you would need to do the same excercise again. As, Colin mentioned, most of the customers, just ingore that error, if they are only monitoring the devices from Airwave.

• 4.  RE: New Installation - Mismatched Configuration
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 13, 2019 09:03 PM

Adding to the above points, make sure to have devices with same config in one group. A group can hold only one device config at a time, so if we have devices with completely different config then, after import it will still show up mismatched.

For example you can put Master/local controller in one group as most of the config on local will be pushed via Master. Also, on Airwave do the import config only from the Master and not local. Once config is imported from Master the local will try to audit its config against this Masters config which we have imported.

• 5.  RE: New Installation - Mismatched Configuration

Posted Mar 14, 2019 09:00 AM

Thanks to all of you, that was very helpful! Now I understand about the difference between using the AirWave to monitor vs. configure the controller. 

All controllers and APs are up, so the mismatch errors can be safely ignored.