Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

No info on "AirWave OVA for vSphere" except...it exists

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  No info on "AirWave OVA for vSphere" except...it exists

Posted Apr 16, 2012 08:41 PM

Hi folks, 'nother Aruba noob here.  We would like to try AirWave via the OVA file downloadable from the web, before we dedicate a box to it (we are planning on <100 APs, tops).  I have d/l'd the OVA zip file, and I can find docs on installing the AMP software on CentOS, but aside from the OVA file itself...zip (pun intended).

Can someone 

• Point me to more documentation on the OVA, or
    • Tell me the state of the VM/AirWave when I boot the VM, or
    • Tell me I'm better off making my own VM and just installing CentOS/AirWave onto it 'manually.'

One thing I notice is the VM appears to be A/W 7.4.5 where 7.4.8 appears to be current from the 'a la carte' downloads.  Also, the first d/l I did was 'corrupt' as I could not extract any of the files.  OTOH the second d/l seems to have only one file, the OVA itself.

Thanks!

Paul

• 2.  RE: No info on "AirWave OVA for vSphere" except...it exists

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 16, 2012 11:45 PM
      |   view attached

I would try the ISO and use the quickstart instructions attached.  

Attachment(s)

pdf
    AirWaveQuickStartGuide74.pdf   206 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: No info on "AirWave OVA for vSphere" except...it exists

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 17, 2012 08:13 AM

And upgrading is as simple as putting the 7.4.8 upgrade tar.gz in /root and running the command: start_amp_upgrade -v 7.4.8

• 4.  RE: No info on "AirWave OVA for vSphere" except...it exists

Posted Apr 17, 2012 03:29 PM

cjoseph, thanks for the opinion.  zjennings, thanks for the tip.

But together this is still conflicting advice...;^)

I will have the server guys bring up the OVA for me, and try the upgrade (if I goof I'll just start over with the OVA).

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: No info on "AirWave OVA for vSphere" except...it exists
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 17, 2012 07:22 PM

@ptrivino wrote:

cjoseph, thanks for the opinion.  zjennings, thanks for the tip.

But together this is still conflicting advice...;^)

I will have the server guys bring up the OVA for me, and try the upgrade (if I goof I'll just start over with the OVA).

Thanks.

Two different people with their two different approaches.

The OVA file should not be corrupted and should download as a .zip so that you can extract it.  If it happens again, please open a support ticket.   It will have a version of Airwave that is a few revisions back.  Like zjennings mentioned, after you get that VM up and running, you can upgrade it with the .tar file on the website, with the instructions he mentioned.

The second opinion was to create a VM from scratch and boot the ISO to it and install.

Some VMWARE tips from the Airwave knowledgebase here:  

http://na2.salesforce.com/_ui/selfservice/pkb/PublicKnowledgeSolution/d?orgId=00D3000000008G4&id=50140000000MetG&retURL=%2Fsol%2Fpublic%2Fsolutionbrowser.jsp%3Fsearch%3Dvmware%26cid%3D000000000000000%26orgId%3D00D3000000008G4%26t%3D4&ps=1

• 6.  RE: No info on "AirWave OVA for vSphere" except...it exists

Posted Apr 17, 2012 07:27 PM

Thanks again, I realize that.  

BTW your VMWare tips link seems to be missing from the post.