Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Planning an Network Upgrade with Airwave Visual RF

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Planning an Network Upgrade with Airwave Visual RF

Posted Apr 19, 2017 04:21 PM

I'm wondering how best to plan an upgrade using Visual RF.  I have existing floorplans showing my current AP's.  I see that in addition to putting already deployed AP's on the floor plan I can place planned AP's on the floor plan.  That seems like what I'd want for this task, but I'd like to compare the coverage that Visual RF predicts for the current network with what it predicts for the new design.  In the new design I want to increase density of AP's to improve 5ghz coverage and increase the number of devices the network can handle.

I thought I would accomplish this by putting all of the existing and planned AP's on the map, and then hiding the planned AP's to look at current coverage, and then hide the deployed AP's and show the planned AP's to look at what coverage might look like after the upgrade.  What seems to happen when I do this, is that it does indeed hide the icons for either type of AP, but the heatmap would appear to be showing both the deployed and planned AP's coverage area when drawing its map.

Do I need to do each building twice to accomplish what I'm looking to accomplish.  Build one version of the building with current AP's and one with the planned upgraded AP's?

If I do have to do each building twice is there a way to make a copy of an existing building to use as a starting place?  That would save me the work of importing the floor plans, measuring, and drawing the walls twice.

• 2.  RE: Planning an Network Upgrade with Airwave Visual RF

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 20, 2017 04:45 AM

Hi,

You could use the visualrf planning tool for the planning purpose. It is a software which can be installed on your PC for planning purpose. Below is the link for downloading it from support site. 

https://support.arubanetworks.com/DownloadSoftware/tabid/75/DMXModule/510/EntryId/4830/Default.aspx

• 3.  RE: Planning an Network Upgrade with Airwave Visual RF

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 20, 2017 11:33 AM

We could use VisualRF planner offline tool for planning aswell but as you mentioned that when you uncheck the planned or deployed AP option it still showing both APs heatmap though one of them is unchecked. Does use metric option is enabled in VisualRF>Setup page, if Yes,could you disable it and check the status of heatmaps.

Regards,

Pavan

• 4.  RE: Planning an Network Upgrade with Airwave Visual RF

Posted Apr 20, 2017 10:35 PM

Use metric units is set to off.  I think you're agreeing with me that whether I'm displaying the deployed or planned ap's or both, the heat map shows all of them.  I think that means my only option is to make a second version of the building and put the existing AP's on one version of the building and the new planned AP's on the other building.  

Is there a way that I can at least copy the building so I don't have to do the work of importing the floor plans and drawing the boundry and setting up the measurements a second time?  If I could start with a copy of the building as it exists, and then just add the new planned AP's?

Also isn't using the stand-alone version of the software installed on my pc going to behave the same as the online version and display a heat map representing all of the AP's?

• 5.  RE: Planning an Network Upgrade with Airwave Visual RF

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 21, 2017 04:38 AM

May I know the Airwave verison, I have checked in my lab latest code 8.2.3.1, heatmaps are working fine.If your server is in old version, i would recommand to upgrade.

If upgrade is not possbile then, use VisualRF planner tool for planning. You could export the floor plans from Airwave VisualRF and import in VisualRF planner.

Regards,

Pavan