Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem Adding Instant to Airwave

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Problem Adding Instant to Airwave

Posted May 07, 2013 06:54 PM
      |   view attached

Hi

I am trying to add a Remote Instant setup to my Airwave setup, I have done the port forwarding on HTTPS into my Airwave, and can connect via browser on https to the Airwave from the remote site.

I have added my external IP in the "settings"->"admin" tap under airwave, the "backup airwave" field is empty.

I have followed the attached PDF document, wich does a brilliant job of explaining what should happen, but there is no role appearing in my Airwave.

How do i troubleshoot this problem, or do i need more ports forwardet to my Airwave to do this?

Best Regards Jens W 

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Aruba Instant and AirWave.pdf   1.54 MB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Problem Adding Instant to Airwave

Posted May 07, 2013 06:59 PM
    Have you checked in the new devices to see if the IAPs are showing up in there ?

• 3.  RE: Problem Adding Instant to Airwave

Posted May 07, 2013 07:55 PM

Yes i have they are not :(

• 4.  RE: Problem Adding Instant to Airwave

Posted May 07, 2013 08:08 PM

I don't know anything about the roles -- I've never looked.

When you set up the Instant, and you're entering the address of the Airwave server (or your outside address) you also enter an "Organization" string.  Once Instant checks in to Airwave, Airwave creates a folder for the Organization you used.

I use IAP in my stores, and I like to manage/monitor/report on them per-store, so I create sub-folders at the same time.

I use Stores:001 and Stores:002 etc. so Store 1 IAP wind up in the folder Stores-->001 and Store 2 IAP in Stores-->002 etc.

Look for the drop down box on the home-Airwave page to go to the folder matching your Organization name.

Also, dies the IAP claim to be connected to Airwave (test at bottom of Web-GUI):

IAP Connected

If not, we should look deeper into the ports you're forwarding and make sure that that's correct.

• 5.  RE: Problem Adding Instant to Airwave

Posted May 07, 2013 09:18 PM

I am trying to bulid a similar setup with a bunch of branch offices connecting in, but I am not up to a good start :)

The Instant setup is saying not connected, so it does not connect to the Airwave.

Is there any ports i should open besides HTTPS?

• 6.  RE: Problem Adding Instant to Airwave

Posted May 07, 2013 09:23 PM

You should only need port 443 .

You mentioned that you were able to reach it from the remote site through HTTPS , is the VC has the same IP address that you are allowing through your firewall.

• 7.  RE: Problem Adding Instant to Airwave

Posted May 29, 2013 03:53 PM

Hi

Sry for the delayed reply.

I contacted Aruba TAC and they told me that my Airwave installation was to old, and did not support remote Instant networks.

Since it was a trial setup i did not have access to upgrades. So i need to reinstall the Airwave completely.

Regards Jens

• 8.  RE: Problem Adding Instant to Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2013 05:19 PM

For the record, what version of AirWave were you running?

• 9.  RE: Problem Adding Instant to Airwave

Posted Jun 05, 2013 06:23 PM

I forgot to check, but i think it was pre 7.x

Now we are running 7.2 and works like a charm :)

• 10.  RE: Problem Adding Instant to Airwave

Posted Jun 07, 2013 07:29 AM

It might be a good idea to upgrade your Airwave install to something in the 7.6.x range. I'm currently running an Instant environment with the Airwave 7.7 beta and it's really slick. The problem with the earlier 7.x Airwave revisions is that you'll need to do a full install to move to newer revisions. I found the following from the 7.6.x Quick Start Guide:

"If upgrading, ensure that your current version is not more than two versions behind. For example, when upgrading to AirWave 7.6, you must already be using AirWave 7.3 or newer. Contact technical support for assistance with upgrading if you are upgrading from greater than two versions."

Just a thought.

-Mike

• 11.  RE: Problem Adding Instant to Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 07, 2013 12:14 PM

Quick cheat sheet to know the specifics for IAP firmware and AMP version relationship:

IAP 2.0.0.0  *  *  *  *  AirWave 7.4.x and greater

IAP 3.0.0.0  *  *  *  *  AirWave 7.5.x and greater

IAP 3.1.0.0  *  *  *  *  AirWave 7.5.7 and greater

IAP 3.2.0.0  *  *  *  *  AirWave 7.6.x and greater

IAP 3.3.0.0  *  *  *  *  AirWave 7.6.4 and greater

This means that if I have IAPs on 3.3.0.0 code, I will need AirWave 7.6.4 to support all the features.

What happens if I've got IAPs with newer firmware and an older AMP version?

Management-wise, the templates are flexible enough to support newer firmware versions as long as you know the template form.  Monitoring-wise, we still get all the same data (though may not process certain features that the AMP version doesn't recognize).  Troubleshooting issues is where you'll see the difference as the 'run command' options for IAPs may have changed between firmware releases.  A newer firmware may have options that aren't visible on the 'run command' menu.

iapruncommand.jpg