Network Management

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

REPLACE SOLARWINDS ORION WITH AIRWAVE

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  REPLACE SOLARWINDS ORION WITH AIRWAVE

Posted Aug 18, 2013 05:55 PM

Hello,

i have solarwinds orion to monitor the health of our Extreme switches (110 switches) , IBM/HP servers(CPU,Disk,RAM) and i have airwave for the Arubas wireles network, can i replace to Airwave and move the Extreme switches and servers to airwave and monitro the health??

or Airwave only works for wireles multivendors?

The idea is to use only one console for monitoring and troubleshoot.

• 2.  RE: REPLACE SOLARWINDS ORION WITH AIRWAVE

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 18, 2013 08:11 PM

AirWave should be able to monitor the Extreme switches.  To do that: go to Device Setup -> Add -> select 'Router/Switch' from the drop down menu.  The router/switch option only works if the device responds to default net-snmp responses.  The difference from specifically supported switches is the availability of per port information.

If the IBM/HP servers also respond to default net-snmp requests, then you may be able to get the server health information too.  I'll try in the lab tomorrow, but if you want to try before then: go to Device Setup -> Add -> select 'Universal Network Device' from the drop down menu.  The servers need to be configured to respond to SNMP v1, v2c, or v3 requests (you can set the version of SNMP to use from the Group -> select group -> Basic tab).

I'd be interested in hearing the results if you attempt the latter.  If you find you want more data from the switches, you can also submit a feature request detailing specific model, firmware, and a SNMP walk of the switch.

• 3.  RE: REPLACE SOLARWINDS ORION WITH AIRWAVE

Posted Aug 18, 2013 08:30 PM

Thaks i will try tomorrow and let you know..

• 4.  RE: REPLACE SOLARWINDS ORION WITH AIRWAVE

Posted Aug 19, 2013 08:13 AM

I'd be curious if you are able to monitor the switches and get the same graphs, alerts, etc from Airwave that you get with Solarwinds. If you just want to monitor up/down status of the switches I could see that working.  Interested to hear what you find.

• 5.  RE: REPLACE SOLARWINDS ORION WITH AIRWAVE
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 18, 2013 05:55 PM

Hi.

I did the config and the extreme switch is begging monitored. TAC remotesession is welcome to see live our Airwave running  (and do tunning :smileywink: ).

Monitoreo de 8810.PNG

Regards.

• 6.  RE: REPLACE SOLARWINDS ORION WITH AIRWAVE

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 20, 2013 01:02 PM

Thanks for the update.  Don't forget to file the feature request in the ideas portal on the support site to support the extreme switch directly (please include model and firmware version).

• 7.  RE: REPLACE SOLARWINDS ORION WITH AIRWAVE

Posted Sep 24, 2013 04:20 PM

The model and version of the switch is

ExtremeXOS (BD-8810) version 15.2.3.2 v1523b2-patch1-11

• 8.  RE: REPLACE SOLARWINDS ORION WITH AIRWAVE

Posted Jun 16, 2014 01:23 PM

just ... any news? ;-)

• 9.  RE: REPLACE SOLARWINDS ORION WITH AIRWAVE

Posted Aug 14, 2014 02:15 PM

Hi,

Javier this is the update: now we need update the OID´s to get more data (like uptime by port) from switches...  :)

Regards.

• 10.  RE: REPLACE SOLARWINDS ORION WITH AIRWAVE

Posted Jan 20, 2015 11:23 AM

Any Re?

• 11.  RE: REPLACE SOLARWINDS ORION WITH AIRWAVE

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 20, 2015 01:00 PM

Sounds like you're looking for updated support of a 3rd party switch.  The Universal Network Device option only provides a limited view for devices that respond to generic NET-SNMP polling.  As you're looking for direct support of Extreme Switches, a feature request should be made through the ideas portal.  It's also a good idea to talk to a regional sales rep to have them get feedback from product management regarding your request.

• 12.  RE: REPLACE SOLARWINDS ORION WITH AIRWAVE

Posted Jun 28, 2016 03:04 PM

No updates... :P

• 13.  RE: REPLACE SOLARWINDS ORION WITH AIRWAVE

Posted Aug 06, 2019 04:04 PM

Hi, Yes you are rigth and i did that (Idea, TAC case, and sales guy) some years ago... Extreme Brand is like Cisco/HPE so Templates must be there and no like "Universal Network Device" and "generic NET-SNMP"... 

By the way they buy Enterasys and Others (Switches/Routers/Devices companys) and Airwave have that (and other) templates in the "Device Setup" section.

We need templates for Full Manage as: "

Aruba AirWave for large scale wired and wireless network management.

With the growth of mobility and IoT devices connecting to enterprise networks, IT needs more granular tools and deeper insights to see how the network is performing. With Aruba AirWave, IT can identify problems before there are disruptions to connectivity, app quality, and RF coverage. It’s the most powerful network management platform for multi-vendor wired and wireless infrastructures. "

Any news?

• 14.  RE: REPLACE SOLARWINDS ORION WITH AIRWAVE

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 09, 2019 12:58 PM

Thank you for your feedback. At this time with the given features priorities in the product roadmap, we are not planning to offer configuration support for Enterasys.

• 15.  RE: REPLACE SOLARWINDS ORION WITH AIRWAVE

Posted Aug 09, 2019 03:40 PM

"At this time".... sarcastic comment isn´t?

The Enterasys company no longer exists was acquired by Extreme minimum over 2 years ago ....
    At least 8 years ago I requested Airwave support for our network that has a mixture of Extreme switches and Aruba Switches (and APs) trying to make REAL the phrase:
    "Aruba AirWave for large scale wired and wireless network management.With the growth of mobility and IoT devices connecting to enterprise networks, IT needs more granular tools and deeper insights to see how the network is performing. With Aruba AirWave, IT can identify problems before there are disruptions to connectivity, app quality, and RF coverage. It’s the most powerful network management platform for multi-vendor wired and wireless infrastructures. "

Crossing fingers...

• 16.  RE: REPLACE SOLARWINDS ORION WITH AIRWAVE

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 09, 2019 04:16 PM

This thread was opened in 2013.  Closing.

I think the poster above was being honest with you about what was being done in the short term, and not being sarcastic.