Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Reconcile Airwaves to WLC

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Reconcile Airwaves to WLC

Posted Aug 20, 2019 03:53 AM

I've sort of asked this before but on the back of another topic and never got an answer that helped me. So, firstly, apologies if you think I'm re-asking but I do need to work this out.

Currently our master WLC shows:

Number of APs: 2412 (of which 137 are down and 1 is inactive)

Airwaves shows:

APs: 2451 (of which 177 are down)

So, I have two main queries here:

1. Presumably the WLC is accurate and showing the correct (and current as of right now) picture?

2. On the presumption that my point 1 above is correct, then how do we get Airwaves to match that?

Thank you in advance for any help.

• 2.  RE: Reconcile Airwaves to WLC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 20, 2019 09:11 AM

Hi,

Make sure both Master/local WLCs are added to Airwave, in server we see number of down AP count is more compare to master WLC, there is a high chance few down APs are no longer associated to WLC but those enteries still present in Airwave.

• 3.  RE: Reconcile Airwaves to WLC

Posted Aug 20, 2019 09:38 AM

Hi Pavan,

I'm not sure I follow what you mean when you say "Master/local WLCs are added to Airwaves".

Where would I check that?

And on checking, if they aren't there and we do add them, are you saying that the discrepancy will then disappear?

• 4.  RE: Reconcile Airwaves to WLC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 20, 2019 10:50 AM

How many controllers in your networks, if it is only one master WLC controller and all APs are terminated on it then you can ignore else add all WLCs.

Go to Down APs list in Airwave and check whether those APs are still active and terminated on controller , if not either you can delete or ignore.

• 5.  RE: Reconcile Airwaves to WLC

Posted Aug 21, 2019 04:14 AM

Pavan,

@Pavan Arshewar wrote:

How many controllers in your networks, if it is only one master WLC controller and all APs are terminated on it then you can ignore else add all WLCs.

That doesnt answer my direct question of "what do you mean by this" and "where / how do I do this".

The answer is we have 6 controllers. 1 xMaster with 2 x slaves Iif that is the right terminology) and a duplicate of those 3 in another DC. So, let me ask again... where or how do I check that all 6 are added?

Second - what difference does it make having them all added ot not?

• 6.  RE: Reconcile Airwaves to WLC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2019 06:08 AM

To veiw all devices added go to Device>List page and to view controllers added,  click on highlighed icon.

Capture.JPG

If APs are terminated on controller and it is not added , APs will not show up in Airwave.

• 7.  RE: Reconcile Airwaves to WLC

Posted Aug 21, 2019 07:15 AM

OK - so all controllers are added.

Let me go back to the original question. How do I get Airwaves to auto-recognise what the WLCs are seeing?

Currently Airwaves is seeing more devices than the WLC. What we need, is for Airwaves to sync to the WLCs - so if a device is removed from the WLC then Airwaves matches that, or is that not the way these work (which seems rather pointless then)?

• 8.  RE: Reconcile Airwaves to WLC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2019 11:35 AM

Hi,

If an AP is removed from WLC, Airwave doesnt automatically delete them. the reason being - we can use the AP on other WLC's or the AP may come back up later. So, not to remove the historical data and trends, the device will be on Airwave. The device has to be manually deleted from Airwave.

Say an AP is replaced on WLC, Airwave has an option to replace the device on its UI so that the old device's hostrical data is retained and carried to new device for reporting and other purposes.

Best is to see the down devices in Airwave, select the ones that are not on WLC's and delete them as bulk.

• 9.  RE: Reconcile Airwaves to WLC

Posted Aug 22, 2019 02:43 AM

OK - thanks Gowri.

I get the logic but maybe it's because we aren't a dedicated Aruba house that I see it as a bit of a failing.

• 10.  RE: Reconcile Airwaves to WLC

Posted Aug 22, 2019 02:44 AM

Here's a thought...

We aren't bothered (well not at this stage) by keeping historical data for devices so is there a means to auto-delete down devices and then when / if a device comes back up Airwaves will then pick it up?

• 11.  RE: Reconcile Airwaves to WLC
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2019 11:38 AM

Currently Airwave do not have an automatic option to delete down AP's from UI. If this is one time activity, I would suggest to use bulk delete. However, Airwave has a script delete_aps.pl which can be run in CLI to delete down AP's. This can be added to cron job to rundaily/weekly (or any periodic interval). For this TAC has to log into the shell and execute the script and/or make the script as cron job.

And, ofcourse, when the AP's show up or new AP's added, Airwave will show the the devices under 'New Devices' tab unless a group and folder was set in Automatic authorization section of AMP Setup > General > Automatic Authorization.