Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Report to show number of UP and Down APs

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Report to show number of UP and Down APs

Posted Jul 23, 2018 02:18 AM

Hello,

Can i generate a report on airwave to show the number of UP and Down APs on specific period (past week for example)?

• 2.  RE: Report to show number of UP and Down APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 23, 2018 11:45 AM

Try the 'device uptime' type report.  You'll want to include downtime details to see why AirWave reported the device as down.

• 3.  RE: Report to show number of UP and Down APs

Posted Jul 24, 2018 01:48 AM

I have tried to generate that report , but it dosen't shows number of up and down aps

i just want a simple report that shows number of each one , for example

UP : 10 , DOWN : 5 , TOTAL : 15 APs

That all what i need

can i get it ?

• 4.  RE: Report to show number of UP and Down APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 24, 2018 03:25 AM

I'm having trouble understanding your request.  You want a definitive number for up or down states for a range of time (for example last Monday thru Friday)?  What state would you report for a device that was down for 5 minutes on Monday?  Would that state be different from a device that was down all Tuesday?  How about a device that was down Wed thru Friday?  How do you factor in lack of update due to busy controller (meaning controller either didn't respond to polling or had a delayed polling response)?  The report answers these questions by giving percentages of up or downtime for the range with a few options to distinguish communication errors from reboots.  In the weeklong report, what's the threshold that determines if a device was ultimately up vs down for the reporting number?  Is it any downtime / 50% downtime / 100% downtime = down device?  What about missed polls?  Devices marked down due to missed polls might bring about false positives.

Most customers are only concerned about downtime for troubleshooting.  These customers use the 'planned maintenance mode' setting on device's manage page to exclude devices from being reported as down during known windows.

Perhaps you're looking for a trending graph instead?  If so, you could create a script to pull the up/down state from the ap_list.xml.  The is_up state in ap_list.xml gives the up/down state from the most recent polling interval.  Rate of collection from the script should match the polling for up/down state on Group -> Basic page (default 5min, min 15sec, max 30min - if the system resources allow as polling cycle rate is directly proportionate to number of devices that need to be polled and the CPU/Memory capabilities of the system).

It could be that we are discussing a possible feature request to enhance the report, which would need a better understanding of how you view the numbers and what usage you take from them.

• 5.  RE: Report to show number of UP and Down APs

Posted Jul 25, 2018 01:43 AM

Thanks for your replay , 

my request is very simple , i want to generate a report to show number of up and down APs (NOW) , and the downtime for the down APs

• 6.  RE: Report to show number of UP and Down APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2018 11:06 AM

The report doesn't give the number like that for instantaneous response.  The top header is what the current value of up/down is.  You can get this by doing something like: https://amp/amp_stats.json

Surprisingly it'd be a feature request to get this in a report that can be emailed.