Network Management

last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Run Airwave in Production and one in Test

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Run Airwave in Production and one in Test

Posted Jan 12, 2016 08:46 AM

I need to test a newer version of Airwave before rolling it out and would like to run it in conjunction with the current production version.  I can clone the production VM of Airwave, upgrade it, and re-IP it.  Then, add the Airwave test server as an additional "airwave server" and "trap receiver" in each WLAN controller.

Is this all I need?

Are there any concerns with polling the controllers twice as much?

Any other considerations?

• 2.  RE: Run Airwave in Production and one in Test

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 12, 2016 08:52 AM

I would check to see your CPU load over time to make sure that your existing controller is not already being taxed.  If it is, I would not consider it.  If it is under 20% the majority of the time, it should not be a problem, because the default polling interval is 5 minutes for SNMP.

• 3.  RE: Run Airwave in Production and one in Test

Posted Jan 12, 2016 12:15 PM
    I'm curious as well to this. You mind sharing some results and what you test?

• 4.  RE: Run Airwave in Production and one in Test

Posted Jan 12, 2016 12:44 PM
    Of course!

• 5.  RE: Run Airwave in Production and one in Test
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 12, 2016 01:57 PM

We do similar things in the test lab.  Are you collecting user data via AMON?  If so, you would also need to add that to the mgmt-servers list.  Otherwise it will appear as if you had no clients.

• 6.  RE: Run Airwave in Production and one in Test

Posted Jan 12, 2016 01:59 PM

Will do, thanks Rob.

• 7.  RE: Run Airwave in Production and one in Test

Posted Jan 27, 2016 06:32 PM

FYI, if you clone Airwave, you may have to rename your VNIC afterwards.  Mine got renamed from eth0 to eth1.  Issue the following commands to fix this:

ifconfig eth1 down  
    sudo ip link set eth1 name eth0  
    ifconfig eth0 up

You can then run the network_setup script to change IPs.  The network script woudn't work until I renamed my VNIC to eth0 so I assume the script is hard coded to reconfigure eth0.