Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Running Airwave on a Laptop

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Running Airwave on a Laptop

Posted Jul 09, 2012 07:00 AM

Hi Gents

In a recent Airwave class we ran airwave on a Laptop.  I am looking at demo'ing airwave at a clients site for a few weeks (Free of Charge), and would like to do this as cheaply as possible.  Has anyone had experience of running airwave on a Laptop, and if so, what exactly were you using, and how was the experience.

Appreciate your time.

Regards

Robbie

• 2.  RE: Running Airwave on a Laptop

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 09, 2012 10:52 AM

This is from my experience:

Airwave can run on a laptop for only the smallest of networks (maybe 8 APs), due to the memory as well as the high disk IO requirements.

• 3.  RE: Running Airwave on a Laptop

Posted Jul 09, 2012 01:12 PM

I want to use this for monitoring a Cisco core, and access layer switches to monitor the amount of Data flowing through it.  I suppose this is just not possible then?

There must be a fairly cheap way to achieve this? 

• 4.  RE: Running Airwave on a Laptop

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 09, 2012 01:13 PM

Well, how many devices are we talking and what are the specs on your laptop?

• 5.  RE: Running Airwave on a Laptop

Posted Jul 09, 2012 01:53 PM

Maybe 6 Switches - Core i5, 8gb Ram, 5400rpm drive.  Does it make a difference whether the switches are access layer or core switches?

• 6.  RE: Running Airwave on a Laptop

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 09, 2012 01:55 PM

If it is just 6 objects with a laptop with those specs, you should try it.  Make sure you give the VM as much memory as you can.

Does not make a big difference with the switches....