Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

SNMP monitoring

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  SNMP monitoring

Posted Feb 09, 2016 06:19 AM

Hi Guys

Im looking to monitor both our Aruba controllers (6000's M3) and our clearpass servers using Solarwinds.

Although I can see the read and write communities are set up on both sets of controllers I am unable to get access via UDP 161 - do I need to permit the SW server somehow on the CP and Aruba controllers?

I guess the question is how do I open UDP 161 up for external monitoring on an Aruba controller.

I have tried adding the SW server to the SNMP config page, I can see traps being sent to the SW server, but can't run a SNMP query or walk the MiB?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: SNMP monitoring

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2016 07:46 AM

Check to make sure that there is no firewall blocking traffic between the controller and SolarWinds.  by default, if you define an SNMP community, you should be able to walk it if there is ip connectivity between the solarwinds device and the controller.  While doing the SNMPwalk, SSH into the controller and type "show datapath session table <ip address of solarwinds or management device>" to see if there is any ip traffic related to that ip address.  If there is none, that means traffic is being blocked somewhere upstream.  If it shows up, but there is a "D" flag, that means that the controller is blocking the traffic.

• 3.  RE: SNMP monitoring

Posted Feb 10, 2016 03:40 AM

No blocking, I can see it being allowed

1xx.1xx.7x.x    1xx.1x.3.2x    17   161   53418  0/0  0    0   0   0/10        6a   5781       588619     F
                                                      0/0     0 0   0   local      
    1xx.1x.3.2x     1xx.1xx.7x.x    17   53418 161    0/0  0    0   0   0/10        6a   5781       582615     FC
                                                      0/0     0 0   0   local    

I have raised a support call with SW as an additional packet trace proves that the request is getting there...

• 4.  RE: SNMP monitoring

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2016 04:52 AM

The reverse connection indicates that it is also being replied to.  Hopefully you don't have a situation where your controller has the wrong default gateway, so the traffic cannot be returned.