Network Management

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Setup Aruba Switches (MAS) with AirWave groups

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Setup Aruba Switches (MAS) with AirWave groups

Posted Sep 14, 2015 04:35 PM

Trying to setup Aruba Switches (S1500 and S3500) with Airwave (8.0.9). Ideally I'd like to hook them up, run through the wizard, which dumps them in a Group, and push a template to it. The template is built and includes all the VLANs, Wired Roles, authentication servers, etc… but not interface port specific settings (I can manually set those later). I also have a switch config which I imported from another switch I want in the same group.

What happens right now is the switch gets in the group and when I push the config the switch config overrides everything and tries to setup each port identical from where I imported the information (even a 48 port onto a 24 port). If I then blank out the GigabitEthernet Interfaces - it erases all the ports and breaks my other initial switch completely.

Am I supposed to create overrides (AP overrides?) for all interfaces for each switch in that group?

Should I have a group for only identical switches? (We have 285 switches, all unique, is it just us?)

Should I just not use AirWave for this and stick to copy/paste to deploy?

My hope was going forward if we change a port for an event and forget to change it back I'll have a glaring 'Mismatched' switch to remind me.

• 2.  RE: Setup Aruba Switches (MAS) with AirWave groups
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 16, 2015 04:10 PM

So instead of doign individual interfaces, have you considered leveraging interface groups?  You can add any profiles you want into the groups...let's say:

APs

Headless Devices

Students

Faculty

...whatever

Then in Airwave, you have these "containers".  Within the interface groups, you can modify "per device" settings and on this screen assign them to individual ports in the overal Airwave group per switch...

So for APs, on one screen, you can assign the AP interface group to ports 0/0/0 - 0/0/12 on switch A and ports 0/0/7-0/0/34 on switch B.  These 2 switches are in the same Airwave group

Screenshot 2015-09-16 16.07.12.png

• 3.  RE: Setup Aruba Switches (MAS) with AirWave groups

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 16, 2015 04:13 PM

Here is an example of interface groups:

interface-group gigabitethernet "guestPORTS"

apply-to 0/0/16-0/0/20 <--- per device setting from Airwave

lldp-profile "lldp-factory-initial"

poe-profile "poe-factory-initial"

switching-profile "guestVLAN"

!

interface-group gigabitethernet "studentPORTS"

apply-to 0/0/5-0/0/10  <--- per device setting from Airwave

lldp-profile "lldp-factory-initial"

poe-profile "poe-factory-initial"

switching-profile "studentVLAN"

• 4.  RE: Setup Aruba Switches (MAS) with AirWave groups

Posted Sep 21, 2015 01:34 PM

I hadn't seen that option for per-device settings.  Thanks a ton, that will work.

• 5.  RE: Setup Aruba Switches (MAS) with AirWave groups

Posted Jul 12, 2017 10:46 AM

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I haven't been able to find an explanation elsewhere.

Is there really no way to exclude interface config from being deleted? In order to retain something as simple as a port description on one single port in my network it seems I would have to create a group wide interface profile, after which I have to set an override on that port for every one of my 33 other switches. And it would still show up as a blank interface config on all of them. In my case, that missing flexibility is what prevents me from implementing an otherwise brilliant feature.

If there were an option to ignore undefined instances, and/or create "overrides" for a single switch, without being restricted to instances that are already defined for every single switch in group config, we'd be golden.