Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

[Tutorial] How to Upgrade your Airwave - Offline Upgrade

This thread has been viewed 27 times
  • 1.  [Tutorial] How to Upgrade your Airwave - Offline Upgrade

Posted Jul 14, 2013 01:05 PM

Hello! in this tutorial i will show you how to upgrade your airwave when:

1-Your server has no internet connection

2-Or when you are like me and prefer doing a offline upgrade( i prefer this because if i do it online something might happen when the airwave is downloading the file) It just personal liking

Anyways lets get started here i ll show you the upgrade from Airwave 7.6.4 to Airwave 7.7.1

This manual assume that your CENT OS is version 6 and not early version

Early versions of Cent OS is not supported in airwave 7.7.1

For more information about that and how to upgrade you can refer here in which Rob explain it!

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AirWave/AMP-7-7-will-discontinue-support-of-CentOS-5-RHEL-5/td-p/57254

First you need to download the upgrade package from the support site

package.png

After doing that we need to download a program that let us send that upgrade packiage into the airwave server

The program name is WinSCP

Site where you can download it http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

winsp.png

You download the installtion package and install it...

Really easy to install its next next finish just be careful in installing toolbars :)

Once we got it installed and you open it you will see something like this

winsp login.png

Enter your user and password(NOT the web GUI one) use the one you use to log in by console or ssh

The file protocol will be sftp

Click Login

Now we need to transfer the Upgrade package to the root just like you see here!(you just need to drage the file and drop it on the root  really easy and then click copy!

copyfile.png

After we copied the file then we need to log by SSH to the airwave

upgrade.PNG

Execute the commandstart_amp_upgrade -v 7.7.1

Now we will need to wait for a while... at least my server is not the faster server in the world so it took around 10 minutes...

After that you will see this

upgrade finished.PNG

If you get the message of upgrade the kernel well its really explicit just copy and paste the line it says there and you will see this

upgrade kernel.PNG

This will take a while also so dont get scared if it take a while... it was another 10 minutes for my poor server.

After that you need to reboot  executing this command

shutdown -r now

After that we are done

Here is the airwave 7.7.1 :)

airwave771.PNG

Hope it helps anyone.

Cheers

Carlos

[Mod note: edited subject line for readability] 

• 2.  RE: [Tutorial] How to Upgrade your Airwave - Offline Upgrade

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 15, 2013 10:05 AM

Great article.  Here's another step if you're a fan of keeping download files around and in their own place.

# cd /root

# mkdir upgrades

(upload upgrade packages into /root/upgrades/)

# start_amp_upgrade -f /root/upgrades -v 7.7.1

Then if you ever need to clear some disk space, you'll know that all your past upgrade files are in /root/upgrades instead of /root.

• 3.  RE: [Tutorial] How to Upgrade your Airwave - Offline Upgrade

Posted Jul 15, 2013 10:09 AM

Excellent i didnt know that!

Great Rob!!!!

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: [Tutorial] How to Upgrade your Airwave - Offline Upgrade

Posted Jan 07, 2014 09:55 AM
    you should also type the command 'screen' before performing the upgrade (if you're doing it remotely).

In case you lose connectivity to the SSH window you can still be logged into the server

• 5.  RE: [Tutorial] How to Upgrade your Airwave - Offline Upgrade

Posted Aug 10, 2015 11:59 AM

Thanks for the guide. Still a valid step-by-step upgrade process for 8.0.9. I love having it to reference :-)

• 6.  RE: [Tutorial] How to Upgrade your Airwave - Offline Upgrade

Posted Feb 13, 2018 11:35 AM
    Quick and nice tutorial

• 7.  RE: [Tutorial] How to Upgrade your Airwave - Offline Upgrade

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2018 12:23 PM

Note that post 8.2.4 - these steps need to consider AMPCLI.  Where if you're on Windows - you may need to look into using an SSHD server app like Bitvise, or if Mac - you may need to adjust client ssh ciphers.  We're still looking into ways to make this process easier.

• 8.  RE: [Tutorial] How to Upgrade your Airwave - Offline Upgrade

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2018 06:32 PM

I am trying to figure out to scp the file over into AWMS, the old way of using winscp isn't working anymore.

@rginwrote:

Note that post 8.2.4 - these steps need to consider AMPCLI.  Where if you're on Windows - you may need to look into using an SSHD server app like Bitvise, or if Mac - you may need to adjust client ssh ciphers.  We're still looking into ways to make this process easier.

• 9.  RE: [Tutorial] How to Upgrade your Airwave - Offline Upgrade

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2018 08:21 PM

Correct, you need to setup an SSHD server.  Look into Bitvise SSHD - it's freeware.  You configure it to map /root as some directory on your system, and then the transfer is initiated from the AMPCLI menu.  So if you're choosing upload -> AMPCLI will SSH out to the SSHD server to pull a file.  If you're choosing download -> AMPCLI will SSH out to any SSH client to drop a file.  We're still looking into alternatives to simplify this route.

• 10.  RE: [Tutorial] How to Upgrade your Airwave - Offline Upgrade

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 06, 2019 04:05 AM

One fun quirk I've encountered/battled this week is that if you're using a Mac, there is some weirdness with ssh on MacOS Mojave (10.14)  that won't respond to ssh/scp on the LAN interface, and will only work on localhost (which isn't terribly useful). 

Fortunately, I have a WLANpi in my toolkit with some space on it and was able to copy the requisite tarball over to the WLANpi and then scp the file from there (I also used that as a jump box to run the CLI session to AMP, to ensure that connectivity was in fact present. 

I think I'm gonna rebuild my WLANpi on a bigger SD card and keep a complete set of code on there, which should allow me to run TFTP pretty easily too.