Network Management

Occasional Contributor II

Upgrading Airwave to 8.2.7

Hey All!

I'm having some issues upgrading my Airwave environment from 8.2.6 to 8.2.7...  

AirWave Management Platform 8.2.6 on airwave.domain.com
1 Upload File
2 Download File
3 Delete File
4 Backup
5 Restore
6 Support
7 Upgrade
8 Advanced
9 Security
10 Custom Commands
11 Enter Commands
q >> Quit
Your choice: 1

Running Upload File

SCP Source (user@host:path): username@10.2.98.200:C\SFTP_Root\AMP-8.2.7-x86_64-cvs.tar.gz
Password:
Uploading username@10.2.98.200:C\SFTP_Root\AMP-8.2.7-x86_64-cvs.tar.gz
scp: Failed to open file 'C\SFTP_Root\AMP-8.2.7-x86_64-cvs.tar.gz'.
Error transferring file from 10.2.98.200: scp failed: child exited with code 1
Hit enter to continue, 's' to show output, 'r' to show return code.
s

----
Return code: 1
stdout:

stderr:

r
Error, return code: 1

I'm using a windows10 laptop running SolarWinds SCP....  Can anyone shed some light on this, please?

TIA

-Ian

MVP Expert
MVP Expert

Re: Upgrading Airwave to 8.2.7

Hi,

within scp/sftp/tftp/ftp/http servers you have a root directory. Server process sees filesystem starting at this directory as root. So you may not specify driveletter and rootpath. Specify just without this.

Default root of solarwinds sftp/scp server seems to be "C:\SFTP_Root". ( I do not use this one, but its the same on all of these products)

In your case either "username@10.2.98.200:AMP-8.2.7-x86_64-cvs.tar.gz" or "username@10.2.98.200:/AMP-8.2.7-x86_64-cvs.tar.gz" should work. Last one may be needed, if Solarwinds expect paths to begin with root-directory ("/"). Typically you have to use forward slashes in these paths and not windows like backslahes ("/" instead of "\").

Please give it a try...

Maybe Solarwinds scp has some logfile? Could give some additional hints, how it tries to access the files.

Regards, Jörg

Please give kudos, if you like my post.
Please Accept as solution, if my post was helpful.

Hello, please see results:

Running Upload File

SCP Source (user@host:path): username@10.2.98.200:/AMP-8.2.7-x86_64-cvs.tar.gz
Password:
Uploading username@10.2.98.200:/AMP-8.2.7-x86_64-cvs.tar.gz
scp: Failed to open file '/AMP-8.2.7-x86_64-cvs.tar.gz'.
AirWave Management Platform 8.2.6 on airwave.domain.com
1 Upload File
2 Download File
3 Delete File
4 Backup
5 Restore
6 Support
7 Upgrade
8 Advanced
9 Security
10 Custom Commands
11 Enter Commands
q >> Quit

Running Upload File

SCP Source (user@host:path): username@10.2.98.200:AMP-8.2.7-x86_64-cvs.tar.gz
Password:
Uploading username@10.2.98.200:AMP-8.2.7-x86_64-cvs.tar.gz
scp: Failed to open file 'AMP-8.2.7-x86_64-cvs.tar.gz'.

SW only shows that the SCP attempt authenticated, but no disconnect reason.

SolarWinds SCP log:

9/21/2018 12:20 PMUnknownAuthenticated user username from IP 10.61.6.178.
 9/21/2018 12:20 PMUnknownUser username from IP 10.61.6.178 downloading file at "'/AMP-8.2.7-x86_64-cvs.tar.gz'".
 9/21/2018 12:20 PMUnknownAuthenticated user username from IP 10.61.6.178.
 9/21/2018 12:20 PMUnknownUser username from IP 10.61.6.178 downloading file at "'AMP-8.2.7-x86_64-cvs.tar.gz'".

I set up a VM using Linux and was able to SCP the file with zero trouble.  I had read somewhere else in the community that it was an issue with Windows in their particular deployment - it seems I have come accross the same issue.  I am upgrading to 8.2.7 successfully now.

Highlighted

Instead of having to use an SCP server, you should see an option under 8 Advanced -> 7 Add File Transfer User.  This should allow you to use client based applications like WinSCP / Filezilla.  The transfer user created will exist until the next nightly maintenance cycle, or you could remove it manually from the same option path as the option is a toggle based on existence of that user.

Rob Gin
Senior QA Engineer - Network Services
Aruba Networks, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
Frequent Contributor II

exact same here, but in 8.2.5 is no option to add a file transfer user. 

What to do now

Hi,

I had this issue too. I think I ended up using the BitWise SSH server application for Windows. Take a look at this guide:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Monitoring-Management-Location/How-to-upload-a-file-on-Airwave-8-2-4-from-Windows-machine/ta-p/303145

Frequent Contributor II

i think buying another software just to upload a file is no solution. I ended in online upgrade which is also just a workaround and no solution

Looks like this thread got spliced into 2 threads - so I'll reply on the original thread.

8.2.4 and 8.2.5 releases have known difficulties for customers who want to perform the manual upgrade path.  The initial requirement of having an SFTP server to grab the images didn't work out.  Everyone was used to using WinSCP on Windows, but WinSCP is just an SCP Client.  The introduction of the SFTP user option in 8.2.6 restored the ability to use WinSCP, but that meant that anyone who had already upgraded to 8.2.4 or 8.2.5 would need to perform the less easy upgrade path at least once to get to 8.2.6.

The reasons for the AMPCLI are numerous, the main one being of all products - AirWave versions before 8.2.4 were being flagged due to root shell access.  To give a uniform secure solution - the CLI had to be limited.

The 8.2.4/8.2.5 upgrade workarounds:

1) if on Windows: using a freeware SSH Server like Bitvise, Solarwinds, etc.

2) having another Linux/MacOS platform to use for SCP transfers

3) opening a TAC case, and getting TAC to use the support access account to run the SCP command

Now that you're already upgraded, you can test the Add SFTP user option which restores the ability to use WinSCP.  This SFTP user gets removed daily during maintenance.

Rob Gin
Senior QA Engineer - Network Services
Aruba Networks, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
MVP Expert

Rob, Any reason why we would get a permission denied using your option 8  Advanced > 7  Add File Transfer User?

After logging in with SFTP we can see a root with user directory but cannot drop the upgrade file in either due to permission denied.

Koen (ACMX #351 | ACDX #547 | ACCP)

-- Found something helpful, important, or cool? Click the Kudos Star in a post.
-- Problem Solved? Click "Accept as Solution" in a post.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: