Network Management

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Using Ekahau Tags with Airwave

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Using Ekahau Tags with Airwave

Posted May 22, 2018 12:37 AM

HI Airheads,

I'm currently testing a setup using Airista / Ekahau A5 asset tags over Aruba Instant with Airwave. 

I have configured the tags for chirp mode,  RTLS connector defined with Airwave and Instant and AP placed on the maps. 

I can see my tags popping up  in visualrf but they are being flagged as clients, not tags. 

Q1 - is the Tags view in VisualRF intended for RTLS tags or something else?

Q2 - is there any way to debug / validate the RTLS chirps to make sure they are being received regularly?

Thanks

Scott

#ALE

• 2.  RE: Using Ekahau Tags with Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 23, 2018 11:01 AM

Q1 - is the Tags view in VisualRF intended for RTLS tags or something else?

yes, it's intended for tags, it depends on how the tags are setup.  if they maintain an association - then they appear as clients.

Q2 - is there any way to debug / validate the RTLS chirps to make sure they are being received regularly?

there is the rtls log, but in 8.2.4/newer - the log is no longer visible from the CLI, so you'd have to monitor from the system -> status -> rtls collector log view.

keep in mind that rtls support is only from Aruba devices and rtls needs to be enabled from AMP Setup -> General -> Additional AMP Services

• 3.  RE: Using Ekahau Tags with Airwave

Posted May 23, 2018 06:31 PM

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. Would you expect to see any activity in the RTLS log other than process start / stop at normal logging levels?

RTLS log.JPG

I've configured the tags to Chirp mode but they only seem to come up as asssociated clients. I'm wondering if its a config mismatch between IAP and Airwave. IAP only has password field but AMP has user and pass for RTLS connector. From what i've read the username doesn't matter as long as the password matches?

Tag Test.png

Scott

• 4.  RE: Using Ekahau Tags with Airwave

Posted May 23, 2018 06:36 PM

This is my IAP / AMP config: 

IAP 6.5.1.0

AMP 8.2.6.1

IAP RTLS Config.JPGAMP RTLS Config.JPG

• 5.  RE: Using Ekahau Tags with Airwave

Posted May 25, 2018 09:03 PM

so after a few hours with TAC it seems the issue was iptables not permitting UDP 5050 into the Airwave server. 

Is it normal to have to modify the iptables when running RTLS?

• 6.  RE: Using Ekahau Tags with Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2018 12:21 PM

It's a defect.  Any changes needed for a feature when toggled should be handled as part of the feature.  The support engineer should file the defect.