Network Management

last person joined: 5 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

VisualRF and Roles

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  VisualRF and Roles

Posted Feb 07, 2017 11:18 AM
    Is there a way to isolate VisualRF Campuses and tie them to separate roles, so that only specific roles can access their Campus?

• 2.  RE: VisualRF and Roles

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 07, 2017 11:39 AM

The general way that roles are treated with regards to VisualRF is here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/AirWave_8_0_Web_Help/UserGuide.htm#AWUserGuide/Chapter2_Config/User_Roles_and_VisualRF.htm?Highlight=visualrf role

Roles are hierarchical and can see anything below their folder.

• 3.  RE: VisualRF and Roles

Posted Feb 07, 2017 12:04 PM

BLUF: We want to restrict AirWave users from seeing every campus within AirWave, except for their own.

Understood, but how do we restrict access to the Individual Campuses  that have APs by Role.

We have a reasonably large deployment of both AirWave and Controllers/APs.  Each of our facilities are monitored by AirWave, and are managed by an onsite engineer.  Each of those sites are assigned a Role, and each engineer is assigned that corresponding role, which restricts their view and access to only the devices within their "Site".  We also want to restrict access in VisualRF, so that only that Role/Engineer can manage the VisualRF Plans for their Respective Campus, but so far we cannot find a way to do that.

Reading the link that you sent, its still lacking in a way to secure our system away from other users, as the line states that all populated floor plans / Campus' are visible to ALL VisualRF Users.

Excerpt from one of the links.

"VisualRF users can also see any building that contains a visible floor plan and any campus that contains a visible building."

To me, this poses a security concern, as we do not want all engineers that have access to VisualRF to also have the ability to affect every campus.  

• 4.  RE: VisualRF and Roles

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 07, 2017 02:57 PM

Do you already have a folder hierarchy setup for your campus?  If you have a role per campus, your users should only be able to see what is at their top folder and below.

• 5.  RE: VisualRF and Roles

Posted Feb 07, 2017 03:51 PM

I do believe that I am not sufficiently explaining what we are looking for, and I apologize.

Each sites' devices are already in its own folder, and roles are placed to restrict access to this folder to only the Engineer assigned to that location.

We want that same Role to be applied within VisualRF, so that this Engineer assigned to this specific site can only see the campus that he is at, instead of seeing ALL campuses or sites on that same AirWave Server within VisualRF.