Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

VisualRF on Airwave device localization

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 11:42 AM

Hello Everyone

Okay i got in a small office of 120 m^2   i got 3 APS

2 AP 93H (5ghz radio on)

1AP 105(5ghz radio on and 2.4ghz on) band steering on 5ghz force

We are all connected to 5ghz of course, i just got the other radio of 2.4ghz for the guest that does not have 5ghz capable devices

Now my issue is sometimes someone connect to an AP   let say in the map i got on the airwave the user is on his desk, which  should be on the map i uploaded UP  but then i see that user localted  DOWN like if he were on the engineering department not on the Sales deparment which is UP on the map.   I got 3 APS and i though it would do a triangulation!

I got those APS spead in the office.   Maybe is how im putting the APS i dont know.

Is there is something i can do to correct this? or i did misconfigured something?

How i did the map? as i oculd not get the dgw file, well i did took the time to do all the measurements i did a of course a small design of the office in a small scale.  Then i mesuare and tell it that  well i put those in metters.

Is there anything im missing? Any recommendation to improve the accuracy?

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 11:55 AM
    You probably checked this but just in case on the controller can you confirmed that user is connected to AP located in the Sales dept, is the AP located in the eng dept close to Sales dept in the bottom floor ? Or you don't have any APs on that floor ?

You could try using the region option and also re-measuring by using the size of one of the doors which usually about 3-4 feet and the floor height . What type of walls do they have ?

• 3.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 11:58 AM

Hello Fabian

They are all close just look at the dimention 120m^2 !! thats not big.   Plus the walls are dry walls...

• 4.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 12:01 PM

The thing is is that i could try lowering the AP power level but that will not work... as the client can see the AP with the same power level no matter what power level i use on the AP.   What it matter here for the roaming its the client perspective! as far i understand...

I guest i could upgrade it again for client match to see if it pick the nearest AP.

For example one of my coworkers was connected to the small server room AP and she has my desk AP near her!

• 5.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 12:03 PM

I can tell you the APS are like  6 to 8  Metters between them.  Just dry walls its a small office o 10 employees :)

• 6.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 12:14 PM

You could check if the client is getting good SNR values by doing the show ap debug client-table ap-name <apname> because if after device does its calculation do determine to what AP to roam and it gets a good SNR/RSSI values from that AP it will be tough to get it to roam sometimes .

ClientMatch could work but at the same if ClientMatch probe report shows that the other AP has better values than the other is not going to steer it over but you could also adjust the settings and make the SNR to be 35 and be more aggreassive  ...

Another option would be to make the other one less desirable by creating an AP specific and lowering the power just on that and one and increasing the power on the one but that could potentially impact the users in the bottom floor.

What type of device are you using ? Laptop ? Windows or Apple ?

If it is an Intel card you can force it to do aggreasive roaming.

• 7.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 12:20 PM

The client gets good snr of all of them :)

I mean anywhere in the office as i said its a small office with dry walls... i can even cover all the office with just one AP with good signal everywhere...

We are all using Laptops... Windows ones

Ill try that next week on august as ill be out of town this week that is coming...

This is hte only thing i need to fix before putting up my airwave which will be seen by our potential clients that would like get it.

I hope that can fix it... ill tell you  as soon as i can try but right now i cannot try as the office is close....

Anyways if anyone else got other suggestion or why this is happening please post them.

The other thing is that i dont know how does the Visual RF  put the AP on his program? does he puts all the APs as they were on the ceiling facing down? or in one direction in particular ? do you know that fabian?

Cheers

Carlos

• 8.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 12:22 PM

Did you Planned the APs on the floor map based on what VisualRF suggested ? Did you did it manually ?

• 9.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 12:24 PM

I manually placed them..

and then manually placed them where they are in the visual RF...

I cannot put them everywhere as i dont have rj45 output everywhere...

• 10.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 12:32 PM

Is there a particular reason you are placing APs to close to each other ? redundancy in case one fails ?

If you are quality signal from just one AP in that floor you could possibly get away with placing two on each floor but on opposites sides and lowering the Minimum power  on 2.4 Ghz .

For my experience doing site surveys in an office environment where you have dry walls you don't have to go dense unless you have too many offices and not cubicles .

Maybe one of the community members can provide different options that you could apply.

Hope this helps

• 11.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 12:36 PM

Okay lets clarify something :)

We are a Aruba Partner

Not putting 3 APS because i need 3 APS for users density or anything

Im putting just 3 APS for the client triangulation for the visual RF

Im putting a Airwave demo for our clients so they can see if they like it like the airwave partner we got access but im putting this for our clients in our country.

Like i said we dont need 3 APS we just need 1 to serve everyone in the office.   But im putting 3 for the triangulation, thats it!

Cheers

Carlos

• 12.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 12:37 PM

Im putting them close to each other because i got no other option... i just got rj45 outlets in those places in which they are un used.... and my boss wont pay for calbing just for this, because its just a demo... so i gotta do it this way.

• 13.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 28, 2013 12:51 PM

@NightShade1 wrote:

Im putting them close to each other because i got no other option... i just got rj45 outlets in those places in which they are un used.... and my boss wont pay for calbing just for this, because its just a demo... so i gotta do it this way.

Carlos,

If you want better triangulation, you would want to overlay Air Monitors and see if you get better results.   Air Monitors cycle through the channels faster than access points that serve clients, and they do not contribute to interference.  Yes, you need at least 3 access points to see a client to get even basic triangulation, but access points that serve clients, depending on your ARM settings might not cycle through fast enough to give you the accuracy you need.  Even if you do deploy more Air Monitors, the most accuracy you will get with wifi is 3 meters, and that is with special clients that beacon on all channels and a RTLS package.  The best you can probably can get 5 to 7 meters, and that is just a limitation with wifi.

Even if you have older b/g access points, you can deploy them cheaply as air monitors to see if you can make location better.

• 14.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 12:54 PM

Okay Collin Thanks!!!

I guest i can put 2 RAP 109 on air monitor Or i would use those AP 93H on 5ghz as air monitor

2 AP 93H as air monitor  on 5ghz channel and 1 ap 105 serving clients  on 5ghz band would be enough Collin?

Cheers

Carlos

• 15.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 28, 2013 01:02 PM

@NightShade1 wrote:

Okay Collin Thanks!!!

I guest i can put 2 RAP 109 on air monitor Or i would use those AP 93H on 5ghz as air monitor

2 AP 93H as air monitor  on 5ghz channel and 1 ap 105 serving clients  on 5ghz band would be enough Collin?

Cheers

Carlos

A single-radio access point scans both bands, so you do not have to dedicate it to specific bands to do scanning.  Just enable "Multi-band scanning" on the ARM profile.

I do not have much experience with location tracking an the RAP109 or the AP93H, but it is best to position them how they were meant to be deployed.

How many you put in place and where you put them depends on your space, where you want to cover, etc.

The best thing you can do is search the Airwave online help for "increasing location accuracy".  I would just end up cutting and pasting the tips from there.

• 16.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 01:09 PM

Thanks Collin! i guess i can set all this remotely and check it on the hotel to see if it increased the accuracy...

The online help did mention some stuff i can do which ill do!

Ill tell you guys how it goes

Thanks!!!!!

• 17.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 01:37 PM

I just read what you said and those looks like excelling tips on the Airwave manual

If it works properly ill do a tutorial with all this good information! step by step.

Cheers

Carlos

• 18.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 12:39 PM

Nighshade!1 tranquilo , was just a question ? just trying to help

For triangulation the APs don't need to be super close , just enough that they can hear each other

• 19.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 12:39 PM

Run a longer cable?

• 20.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 12:41 PM

I would need to see if we got longer cables... andi know you are trying to help not angry or anything :)

I know that they dotn need to be super close but sadly our office is really small :(

• 21.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 11:59 AM
    Also in the AMP can you check the association history

• 22.  RE: VisualRF on Airwave device localization

Posted Jul 28, 2013 12:01 PM
    What do you see on the controller ?

Does it shows that the device connected to Sales AP ?