Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

WLC ip addresses changed, no new AP:s

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  WLC ip addresses changed, no new AP:s

Posted Dec 19, 2018 08:41 AM

Hi,

Recently my colleagues changed the IP-addresses of our 2 WLC (Master and Local).

Since then no new AP:s have appeared in the Airwave.

The configuration in our Airwave in Device Setup -> Discover is first the 2 WLC:s and then under Network they have configured 2 networks. Each is the ip-address to the controller with at netmask of 255.255.255.255

In this configuration the WLC are still on the old ip-addresses. Am i Correct when i assume that this is the reasson for no new AP:s appearing in the Airwave?

And also, is it safe to just change these settings to the new IP-addresses under Network? We currently have a large number of devices monitored in this Airwave and i dont want to interuppt operations doing any sudden changes.

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: WLC ip addresses changed, no new AP:s

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 19, 2018 09:32 AM

Airwave obtains information by polling a controller at its ip address.  It also receives AMON messages with the source address of its ip address.  If it cannot poll that ip address, it will not receive information.  If it is not receiving information, you need to change the ip address to the proper management ip address of the controller.

• 3.  RE: WLC ip addresses changed, no new AP:s

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 19, 2018 09:47 AM

When the IP address was changed, did the change get made directly on the WLCs?  If so, we need to mirror the change in AMP.

To make the change:

Navigate to Devices -> jump to folder where the WLCs are -> select WLC.  On the monitor page - check WLC IP address, I'd expect up/down status of the WLC to be down if the IP address is incorrect.  Go to manage tab - update IP address to the new address, then Save and Apply.  Once you correct the IP, you can force a 'poll now' from the WLC monitor page.

Once you do the above for both WLCs, and then you can adjust the Device Setup -> Network Scan for the correct IP block if the subnet or address range has changed.

• 4.  RE: WLC ip addresses changed, no new AP:s

Posted Dec 19, 2018 09:52 AM

Hi Rob,

The ip address on the controllers are correct. But the configuration is "missmatched". Could this be the cause for this problem?

So i dont have to change the network configuration under device setup -> Discover?

//Niklas

• 5.  RE: WLC ip addresses changed, no new AP:s

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 19, 2018 10:00 AM

Config mismatch wouldn't affect device discovery.  What AMP version are you on?  If on 8.2.7/8.2.7.1 - you can use the Enter Commands menu of the AMPCLI to run some SNMPwalks to test.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Network-Management/AMP-Tip-8-2-6-AMPCLI-Enter-Commands-3-SNMP-debugging/td-p/421137

I usually do a walk of the .1 OID to get the entire MIB table -> if you do that and see the portion that has the AP list, then you can spot check to see how many APs there should be vs how many we actually have in AirWave.

• 6.  RE: WLC ip addresses changed, no new AP:s

Posted Dec 20, 2018 11:08 AM

Im on 8.2.6.1.

I cant access the cli yet, it seems my permission level isnt enough.

Will fix this asap.

Another issue i have noticed is that the Airwave have shown the same client-numer for a while now. The actual client number if much larger when looking at the local controller. 

I assume this might go hand in hand with no new AP:s appearing?

• 7.  RE: WLC ip addresses changed, no new AP:s

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 20, 2018 11:13 AM

Yes, client count and the missing APs are connected issues.  Once the AP issue is resolved, the client count should be taken care of as well.