Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Why is "Max Clients" is lesser than "Unique Clients"?

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Why is "Max Clients" is lesser than "Unique Clients"?

Posted Jun 12, 2017 01:52 PM
      |   view attached

I am trying to generate a report but I came up with a table I can't interpret. 

• 2.  RE: Why is "Max Clients" is lesser than "Unique Clients"?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2017 03:50 PM

Hello,

The maximum clients is the max simultaneous clients on the network at one point in time (peak time) during the given timeframe for the report.  The unique clients count is the total number of unique MAC addresses seen on that network during the given timeframe for the report.  Hope this provides the necessary clarification!

JJ

• 3.  RE: Why is "Max Clients" is lesser than "Unique Clients"?

Posted Jun 12, 2017 03:56 PM

Thanks for the reply. 

So how about the other line where there were 15 Max clients but has 0 unique clients.

• 4.  RE: Why is "Max Clients" is lesser than "Unique Clients"?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2017 04:05 PM

This is suggesting that at some point in time, 15 total clients were connected to that device, but none of them were unique to the group/folder reported on.  They had all previously associated to the network to a different AP/device before roaming to that AP/device, so they are no longer unique.

• 5.  RE: Why is "Max Clients" is lesser than "Unique Clients"?

Posted Jun 12, 2017 04:07 PM

No I get it. 

Thanks.

But I have another question:

• 6.  RE: Why is "Max Clients" is lesser than "Unique Clients"?

Posted Jun 12, 2017 04:36 PM

Basing from the picture below.. Why is the Max Clients of the whole folder less than the Max Clients per AP?Why is Max Clients is lesser than Unique Clients 2.png

• 7.  RE: Why is "Max Clients" is lesser than "Unique Clients"?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2017 04:56 PM

That's a good question.  Could you share the configuration of that report?  Also, what version of Airwave are you running?

JJ

• 8.  RE: Why is "Max Clients" is lesser than "Unique Clients"?

Posted Jun 12, 2017 05:11 PM

We are using version 8.2.3.1

Below is the report definition

Airwave report.png

• 9.  RE: Why is "Max Clients" is lesser than "Unique Clients"?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2017 05:27 PM

Are you sure this is the correct report definition?  I would have expected to see options defined for client inventory or other utilization metrics, not device uptime. Or conversely, based on the report definition, I would expect the report data to show device uptimes and not client count information.

Version of Airwave should be good.  If the report definition shown is providing the report data shown from previous steps, I would suggest opening a case with TAC to investigate further.

• 10.  RE: Why is "Max Clients" is lesser than "Unique Clients"?

Posted Jun 12, 2017 06:42 PM

My bad. I remember that I did modify the definition and run it many times and the definition I showed wasn't the one.

Here's the right one. I made sure it is right by running it again. I did get the same generated result where the Folder Max clients is lower than the Max client of each AP.

Airwave report 2.png

Thanks

• 11.  RE: Why is "Max Clients" is lesser than "Unique Clients"?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2017 09:00 PM

Thank you - I was hoping there might be a configuration component that could correct the issue, but it appears the report configuration is fine.  I recommend opening a support case to investigate further.  Out of curiosity, are you collecting Airwave data via SNMP only, or both SNMP and AMON?  If you have the flexibility to do so in your environment, it may be worth toggling between using AMON and not using AMON, each for a couple days at a time.  You could see if the issue is present both with and without using AMON, and could be a good data point to provide to TAC.

Also out of curiosity - what version of code on the controller(s)?

Thanks,

JJ

• 12.  RE: Why is "Max Clients" is lesser than "Unique Clients"?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 13, 2017 06:10 AM

Hi Jerrold,

Max client which you are comparing is of total device in particular folder with indiviudal device.

Airwave stores the client graph data in five minutes of bucket interval, so during the report run time interval we will have number of max points in graph, it will do max average to get value.

Regards,

Pavan

• 13.  RE: Why is "Max Clients" is lesser than "Unique Clients"?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 13, 2017 07:10 AM

Hi Pavan,

Thanks for the explanation of the folder max client/unique client counts.  Just to make sure I understand correctly, these numbers are an average of the devices that belong to that folder, and NOT a sum total from all the devices in that folder?

Thanks,

JJ

• 14.  RE: Why is "Max Clients" is lesser than "Unique Clients"?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 13, 2017 12:08 PM

Hi,

Its not sum of the device in the folder it is max average of all the devices in folder.

Regards,

Pavan