Network Management

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Wireless Speed against heat map color

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Wireless Speed against heat map color

Posted Oct 30, 2014 10:28 PM
      |   view attached

Hi,

I have generated heat map using visualrp plan & as per coverage color how to identify speed for respective coverage color?

Please find heat map attachment for reference.

Color

Signal Strength

Speed

Blush

-45db

Topaz

-55db

Pastel yellow

-65db

Aqua

-75db

Thank you,

Nik..

• 2.  RE: Wireless Speed against heat map color
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 30, 2014 10:41 PM

If you are only referring to the output of Bill of materials, the rates equal the following; however only on the Data Rate View; not the Heat Map View.

amp-speed-rates.png

Within VisualRF, it is possible to display Speed instead of Heatmap.  The color correlation to speed will vary depending on what you set the rate to.   For example, if you set the rate to ≤ 1.3 Gbps, red equates to 1300-849Mbps, but if you change the rate to ≤ 850Mbps, red equates to 850-584Mbps.

amp-speed-visualrf.png

• 3.  RE: Wireless Speed against heat map color

Posted Oct 30, 2014 10:55 PM

Thank you for your suggestion....

Is the rate depends upon AP model using in heat map?

I am using AP 105

please suggest standard rate as per AP model?

Thank you...

• 4.  RE: Wireless Speed against heat map color

Posted Oct 30, 2014 10:57 PM

I Got it...

rate is automatically assigned as per AP model.

• 5.  RE: Wireless Speed against heat map color

Posted Oct 30, 2014 11:00 PM

The heatmaps and speeds that are generated take into account the model of the AP, yes.   There is no standard rate per model.  The rate you want to display is up to you for your client usage/needs. 

The maps will show you signal and speed within a floorplan based on the building structure, size, and AP model/antenna, etc.    What is it you want to ultimately achieve?

• 6.  RE: Wireless Speed against heat map color

Posted Oct 30, 2014 11:21 PM

Even if i selected speed single AP coved all floor.

The last user is 40 Feet far from AP still showing 300-239 mbps.

In the heat map i was able to get different value with respective colour after some distance but if i selected speed its cover total floor in singal AP & 300-239 mbps speed.

Please find attachment.

is ther any fine tuning?

Thank you...

• 7.  RE: Wireless Speed against heat map color

Posted Oct 31, 2014 10:02 AM

There could be multiple factors at play here.

You are working with a predictive model.    The results are going to be vary based on what you've input into the planner tool; for example, AP model, radio transmit power, environment setup, and overall sizing of the floorplan (making sure its accurate).

On your screenshot, you have client transmit power at 100mW (high; see below), looking only at 2.4GHz, and ≤ 300Mbps.  Based on your environment setup, sizing, and AP choice, that is the predicted speed you could see from a 100mW client on 2.4Ghz.

Keep in mind, what you are seeing is predictive and may not correlate to real-world.   Typical planning is done on signal strength (for example -65 throughout which will usually yield favorable speeds) and not necessarily speed alone, although you may have this requirement for certain application usage.

Also, you'll want to do your measurements based upon your average client.  100mW is likely high.  I typically go with 30mW for planning.   I also usually size everything for 5 GHz while planning.

• 8.  RE: Wireless Speed against heat map color

Posted Oct 31, 2014 09:34 PM

Thank you clembo...

Actually i am using both radio 2.4 & 5 GHz. i was showing you shpeed map even if i used 2 AP or 1 AP speed remain same.

Anyway, i will prefer best practice parameter to generate the heat map.

I.e. 

Client transmit power = 30 mW

Signal strength = -65 db

Plz suggest any other.

Thank you...

• 9.  RE: Wireless Speed against heat map color

Posted Dec 15, 2015 04:46 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Celembo,

Thanks for the valuable guidance, I am using this tool for planning -65dB coverage accross back offices in Basement I am using AP 205 at 30mW power using both radios but in fewer areas (highlighted in RED) Access Points show less coverage and dont even show Red marks for maximum signal strength can you please advice