Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

configuring high availability

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  configuring high availability

Posted Sep 07, 2016 08:25 AM

I want to configure High avalability with 2 controllers.

One is ever in production, not the second.

My first question is :

to configure HA, do i configure on the pair of controller or just need to configure on master ?

My second question :

- the second wiwh is not in production can be see by the controller in production, but not by AP. I will do it in second step. Is it a trouble if i configure HA with 2 controllers and AP don't see the standby controller.

I don't want to break my netowork production.

Best regards.

• 2.  RE: configuring high availability

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 07, 2016 08:57 AM

1. You should not configure redundancy while your controllers are in production, because it will interrupt production traffic.

2.  Please read the chapter here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_65x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/VRRP/HighAvOverView.htm and come back with questions.

• 3.  RE: configuring high availability

Posted Sep 07, 2016 10:14 AM

ok , i've read this document. i see it s written for aurubaOs 6.5.x. Does it work for 6.4.x ?

I will ask other questions after.

Best regards.

• 4.  RE: configuring high availability

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 07, 2016 10:22 AM

Yes.

• 5.  RE: configuring high availability

Posted Sep 20, 2016 12:40 PM

I ve got an other configuration :

i don't understand how is managed the synchronisation of configuration between the 2 controller.

I define one active and one standby. Does the configuration of active controller will be backuped on standby controller every xx seconds ?

How does the licence manage if it is recorded with a specific controller ?

Thanks

• 6.  RE: configuring high availability

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 20, 2016 01:38 PM

Every time you type "write mem" or click on "Save configuration" on the master controller, the configuration is synchronized to the backup master.

If you turn on "Centralized Licensing", the Licenses will be Synchronized to the backup master...

• 7.  RE: configuring high availability

Posted Sep 20, 2016 01:50 PM

active/standby is the same thing that master/backup(master) like you said  ?

The master "notion" is not used for vrrp configuration ?

Further more, even with a "write mem", i don't see all configuration of active controller under HA on standby controller ?

I must set up a cluster of controller in order to centralise license ? It s not the same thing than HA ?

• 8.  RE: configuring high availability

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 20, 2016 02:28 PM

Master/Backup master means the master will synchronize the configuration.  type "show master-redundancy" on each controller.

There are some configurations like WLANs that are global.  Those will be synchronized to the backup master controller.  Other configurations like ip addresses are local, and will NOT be synchronized to the backup master.

The master/backup master configuration is an active/standby configuration.

If you turn on Centralized Licensing on the master controller, that configuration and the licenses will synchronized to the backup master.

• 9.  RE: configuring high availability

Posted Sep 21, 2016 03:42 AM

When i run show master-redundancy, it answers :

Master switch redundancy is not configured

I just define HA with two controllers on each controllers witch one active and one in standby.

To set up HA, tou have to set up Master redundancy with VRRP too (with these two controllers) ?

At beginning, I understood, VRRP and HA were two ways to make deployment without single point of failure.

Thanks.

• 10.  RE: configuring high availability

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2016 05:56 AM

Please open a case with TAC.  This is too complicated to discuss on a forum.