Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

visualrf not working between different floors

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  visualrf not working between different floors

Posted Aug 01, 2016 04:51 AM

Hi,

i performed some testing on VisualRF in Airwave 8.2.0.3.

Some issues i noticed with a test setup describing one building with five floors.

1. initially my client device is picked up by visualrf.  But when i move the device between different floors, the system loses track.  After 10 minutes i notice in visualrf the device remains on the initial floor, but without connection.

The controllers however pick up immediately the device has moved and switch to another ap.  Visualrf however...

2. seems looking for a device is limited to a specific floor.  I want to look for a device in a complete building (or even site).  But this does not work?

I enabled RTLS between controller and airwave, but this does not seem to improve the situation.  The floorplans have also been finalized with wall and ceiling attenuations.

Since the controller picks up the change, it seems logically visualrf should pick up the change.  But this is not happening...

• 2.  RE: visualrf not working between different floors

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 01, 2016 04:59 AM

Do you have SNMP traps setup to be sent from the controller to Airwave?  Do you also have AMON setup to be sent to Airwave?

RTLS should not be necessary at all.   SNMP traps and AMON should have the information to signal that a client has roamed from one AP to another.  Have you seen the Airwave 8.2 - Aruba Best Practices guide here?  https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Default.aspx?EntryId=21059

• 3.  RE: visualrf not working between different floors

Posted Aug 01, 2016 10:24 AM

Hi,

yes traps and amon are configured.  I doublechecked the best practices.  Set amon now as preferred (over snmp) but this does not seem to make a difference.

• 4.  RE: visualrf not working between different floors

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 01, 2016 10:40 AM

If you can reproduce it, you should open a TAC case, because that should not happen.  Prefer AMON should have no effect.

I would look at the System > Performance tab on your Airwave server and see if there are any issues, like high utilization or Papi packet loss.

• 5.  RE: visualrf not working between different floors

Posted Aug 01, 2016 11:14 AM

1-08-2016 17-11-29.png

1-08-2016 17-11-34.png

Seems okay to me ...