Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

wifi certificate not trusted on laptops and phone

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  wifi certificate not trusted on laptops and phone

Posted Nov 14, 2018 04:24 AM

We have a valid certificate (until december 2020) on our Aruba's  7205 (version 6.5.4.7)

but still our wifi clients (mainly iphones) complain they do not trust the certificate, now it appears (but i am not shure) the windows laptop allso complain certificate is not trusted the last couple of weeks.

What do i check to find out wether i did or did not install the certificate properly, OR my certificate is not the proper certificate for my enviroment (it's a comodo certificate)??

Kind Regards

Gerard

• 2.  RE: wifi certificate not trusted on laptops and phone

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Nov 14, 2018 04:34 AM

Has the certificate been previously trusted and working as expected? What is the certificates purposes, do you use this for the Captive Portal, GUI or device authentication? I would expect Comodo is already pushed as a Trusted CA to the devices. In the very first instance check on the devices why the certificate isn't trusted. Is it due to the CA, expired cert, CN name wrong etc? 

• 3.  RE: wifi certificate not trusted on laptops and phone

Posted Nov 14, 2018 05:49 AM

The certifcates have always generated the question to be trusted on Iphones, but not on the windows laptops.

> do you use this for the Captive Portal, GUI or device authentication?

I don't undertstand the question, if my iphone/windows user log's on to the wifi they get a question to trust the connection

How can i check whether my certifcate is properly installed, and does anybody now this is a known issue with comodo?

Kind Regards

Gerard

• 4.  RE: wifi certificate not trusted on laptops and phone

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Nov 14, 2018 06:53 AM

You will need to check the certificate trust, so on Windows access certmgr via MMC and look under Third Party Root Certs. If its easier do you want to provide a screenshot of the cert error so that we can identify if this is a Captive Portal cert or a Server cert.

FYI I am running Windows 10 and can see COMODO RSA Certification Authority already installed.

• 5.  RE: wifi certificate not trusted on laptops and phone

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2018 07:28 AM

Assuming you're using PEAP or another tunneled EAP method?

This is completely normal. The message has nothing to do with system level trust. You need to either preconfigure your clients manually, run them through a provisioning tool, push a config via a management tool (GPO/EMM/Profiles) or ideally, you should be using EAP-TLS.

• 6.  RE: wifi certificate not trusted on laptops and phone

Posted Nov 15, 2018 05:12 AM

Consider this threat closed.

It was de radius certificate the iphones did not trust.

Kind Regards

Gerard Schoenmakers