Primary (K-12) Education

last person joined: 19 days ago 

Got networking questions for schools or want to know more about E-rate? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

I am looking to do BYOD

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  I am looking to do BYOD

Posted Oct 09, 2014 11:37 AM

I am a k12 with 100,000 students 10,000 staff.  I have clearpass licensed for 100,000 with 500 guest.  I am looking at 25k or 50k onboading licenses looking to buy more later.  My question is about the NAC sizing.  Can anyone give me a forumla or some advice on the needed number for NAC licences?  Some real world advice about what is needed.

• 2.  RE: I am looking to do BYOD

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2014 11:38 AM

Can you define NAC? It  can have many meanings. 

Are you looking to do posture/endpoint checks or just enroll devices and automatically issue certificates?

• 3.  RE: I am looking to do BYOD

Posted Oct 09, 2014 11:41 AM
    Yes, Device onboarding, visitor, employee, and student device health

Brian Warren
    System Engineer I
    Dekalb County School District
    Work: 678.676.1144
    Cell: 678.776.6077
    Fax: 678.676.1052
    Brian_Warren@dekalbschoolsga.org

• 4.  RE: I am looking to do BYOD

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2014 11:43 AM

OK, so posture checks are only done on Windows, OS X and some Linux platforms. So you'll want to guestimate how many of those devices you'll see vs mobile devices.

You have an option of getting enterprise licenses which cover guest, onboard, and onguard so that you don't need to worry about exact counts for each type. Just keep in mind that each feature uses 1 license.

So a device that is both Onboarded and checked for posture will consume 2 enterprise licenses.