Primary (K-12) Education

last person joined: 14 days ago 

Got networking questions for schools or want to know more about E-rate? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

Onboard License Question

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Onboard License Question

Posted Aug 27, 2012 09:01 AM

I am doing an onboarding deployment for a local K12.  As students graduate and devices are retired, will those onboarding licenses be able to be reused, or will the school be required to buy new onboarding licenses for the new incoming class?     Also, where does ClearPass Guest keep count of the license status of onboarding?

• 2.  RE: Onboard License Question
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 27, 2012 11:30 AM

Onboard is licensed based on the number of valid device credentials that have been provisioned. That is, as the crdentials expiry or are reovked they will be removed from the license count. We have seen some educational customers use expiry dates based on the final semester so the credentials are automatically released from the licensing count when the students leave.

• 3.  RE: Onboard License Question

Posted Aug 27, 2012 11:32 AM

Thank you.   Is it possible to have varying expirations set?  For example, as you put it, have the certs expire up on their graduation year?   So, seniors expire next summer, juniors, two summers out, etc.    Or is it an all or nothing?

• 4.  RE: Onboard License Question

Posted Aug 27, 2012 11:39 AM

It is possible to have differing expiry times - I have seen this been triggered off group membership in the backend AD used for BYOD authorization. I am not sure if that would work in your environment but your local Aruba SE or partner should be able to give you some pointers on setting this up in your Onboard configuration.