Security

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

2FA for 802.1X with Okta

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  2FA for 802.1X with Okta

Posted Jul 16, 2019 05:53 PM

Hi Aruba Community,

I've seen a few posts about this but I haven't found a definitive answer. I'm working with a customer who would like to enable 2FA for a wireless 802.1X workflow. They currently have Okta integrated in with their environment. I did find a how-to post for a similar setup using RSA SecureID and setting the authentication source as a token server.

I've also found some documentation on the Okta side of the house supporting a RADIUS configuration. Has anyone successfully been able to get Okta to work as a 2FA authentication server for 802.1x? Any advice or steps to configure? Or does anyone have other solutions that they can recommend?

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: 2FA for 802.1X with Okta
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 16, 2019 05:58 PM
    MFA with 802.1X is not recommended as the user experience is very poor and in some cases, requires a custom supplicant to be installed on the device.

• 3.  RE: 2FA for 802.1X with Okta

Posted Jul 16, 2019 06:26 PM

Thanks Tim! - Can you elaborate on what you mean by a poor user expereince?

And do you have any other recommendations for customers wishing to pursue MFA as an option? Perhaps EAP-TLS / Onguard combo?

• 4.  RE: 2FA for 802.1X with Okta

Posted Jul 16, 2019 06:58 PM

I've also seen some community posts regarding some "sandwich" workflows.. This seems like a workable solution. Was anyone able to get this working or is there any documentation on such a solution?

• 5.  RE: 2FA for 802.1X with Okta

Posted Jul 16, 2019 08:01 PM

A captive portal (where I can customize the MFA cache) would work for their needs. I only however see that Duo is supported and not Okta. - Has anyone got this working with Okta?

• 6.  RE: 2FA for 802.1X with Okta

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 16, 2019 08:59 PM
    The sandwich flow is a poor user experience as the user's network session is interrupted and the captive portal browser may not fire reliably.

• 7.  RE: 2FA for 802.1X with Okta

Posted Jul 17, 2019 02:42 PM

Thanks! - The more I thought about it, the more I realized the inherent challenges with the solution. We're going to steer the customer away from these approaches. We have some internal CISO advisors who are going to address it with the customer's security team. EAP-TLS and some combination of additional authorization checks should be sufficient.

• 8.  RE: 2FA for 802.1X with Okta

Posted Aug 29, 2019 10:45 AM

So i have gotten Okta Radius to work Behind the internal Captive portal but it wont work straight 802.1x due to the fact that OKTA is PAP only and 802.1x defaults to PEAP 

but it works via internal captive portal and make it authenticated and point it to your okta radius server 

im using OKTA verify and also if they use the token inside verify they just have to put their password in then put comma behind it with the token key and they will be authenticated 

@REgan wrote:

Hi Aruba Community,

I've seen a few posts about this but I haven't found a definitive answer. I'm working with a customer who would like to enable 2FA for a wireless 802.1X workflow. They currently have Okta integrated in with their environment. I did find a how-to post for a similar setup using RSA SecureID and setting the authentication source as a token server.

I've also found some documentation on the Okta side of the house supporting a RADIUS configuration. Has anyone successfully been able to get Okta to work as a 2FA authentication server for 802.1x? Any advice or steps to configure? Or does anyone have other solutions that they can recommend?

Thanks in advance!

• 9.  RE: 2FA for 802.1X with Okta

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 29, 2019 11:39 AM

The Okta RADIUS server is only supported for VPN use cases in CPPM. You should be using SAML for a captive portal workflow.

• 10.  RE: 2FA for 802.1X with Okta

Posted Aug 29, 2019 11:51 AM

"supported" is ok but im saying it works and connects just fine.. i personally have a Layer 3 mobility issue between aps to stop my users from reauth to every new VC cluster in the building

• 11.  RE: 2FA for 802.1X with Okta

Posted Aug 29, 2019 04:25 PM

In the end we were able to steer our customer in the EAP-TLS direction and do it in a way that satisfies our customer's security requirements. I would recommend this approach per the feedback that I go there.