Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

802.1x auth and non-domain joined devices

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  802.1x auth and non-domain joined devices

Posted Jan 27, 2015 09:50 AM

At this moment I configured 802.1x with a 2008 radius server to authenticate computers and users, which works fine. But non domain devices (like iPhones) can also authenticate to the wireless network as long as they provide a valid domain user account. Is there a way to configure this differently so users can only authenticate when theyre on a valid domain computer?

• 2.  RE: 802.1x auth and non-domain joined devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 27, 2015 09:52 AM

You have 3 options:

1)  Use enforce machine authentication in the controller

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS%206_3_1_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/802.1x/Configuring_802_1x_Authe.htm?Highlight="machine authentication"

2) Utilize ClearPass Policy Manager for advanced device identity

3) Issue client certificates to domain devices via GPO and restrict connections to EAP-TLS.

• 3.  RE: 802.1x auth and non-domain joined devices

Posted Jan 27, 2015 10:40 AM

Hi Tim, thanks for your fast respone :)

I enabeld Enforce Machine Authentication in the relevant 802.1x auth profile, but I can still connect my iPhone as long as i provide a valid domain account. Any thoughts?

Edit: seems like we cross posted :) I will read the link you provided!

• 4.  RE: 802.1x auth and non-domain joined devices

Posted Jan 27, 2015 11:59 AM

In windows nps creat one policy with machine only rule. and assigned that to the controller.

rad.jpg

make sure that your req is hitting correct policy..

• 5.  RE: 802.1x auth and non-domain joined devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 27, 2015 12:02 PM
    That won't always work because if a user authenticates on an AD-joined
    machine, it will fail authentication.

• 6.  RE: 802.1x auth and non-domain joined devices

Posted Jan 27, 2015 12:10 PM

Yeah that's right.

it'll enable machine authentication only. user auth will not work.

• 7.  RE: 802.1x auth and non-domain joined devices

Posted Jan 27, 2015 04:08 PM

Hi Enveekaa,

I wrote a post about this issue a few months back:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AAA-NAC-Guest-Access-BYOD/How-to-Machine-AND-User-Authentication-in-Windows-with-Clearpass/m-p/208471/highlight/true#M15856

It's a more advanced config in Clearpass, but it allows you to do Computer and User auth at the same time.

Hope it helps!

-Mike

• 8.  RE: 802.1x auth and non-domain joined devices

Posted Jan 28, 2015 07:32 AM

Thanks for all the info guys, I fixed it by enabling "Enforce Machine Authentication" and remove the user auth option from the radius server.

Edit: This isnt a workable situation tbh, I tested some more and if the Machine Auth expires (eg the laptop goes sleep) the user can't authenticate anymore and is denied network access.

I setup a Windows 2012 R2 NPS Server, this might provide me the options I require. Ill report back if I  have more info))

• 9.  RE: 802.1x auth and non-domain joined devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 28, 2015 10:57 AM
    Going the cert route is probably your best bet. 

Thanks, 
    Tim

• 10.  RE: 802.1x auth and non-domain joined devices

Posted Feb 02, 2015 04:28 PM

I think I have a decent solution at the moment.

I created a policy on the NPS server thats only allows computers to authenticate and configured the wireless connection on the laptop to only attemp computer authentication.

In my first test I did not disable user auth in the 802.1x settings on the laptop, obviously this caused auth to fail as soon as the laptop would attemp user auth.

Does this implementation has any side effects im missing? 

• 11.  RE: 802.1x auth and non-domain joined devices

Posted Feb 02, 2015 04:31 PM

Hi enveekaa,

The only caveat about going an all Computer Authentication route are those devices that can not perform Machine Authentication, like Apple laptops and most BYOD devices.

-Mike

• 12.  RE: 802.1x auth and non-domain joined devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 02, 2015 08:02 PM

With this setup, you will lose user identity.

• 13.  RE: 802.1x auth and non-domain joined devices

Posted Feb 03, 2015 04:09 AM

For now this seems perfect, non domain devices are provisioned via a guest network and a self register page where end user can accept an eula and are added to the mac database dynamically. Currently we dont allow any non domain device on the prodution network. 

Thanks for help!

• 14.  RE: 802.1x auth and non-domain joined devices

Posted Feb 03, 2015 04:27 AM

Good to know that your problem has solved..

Cheers

• 15.  RE: 802.1x auth and non-domain joined devices

Posted Nov 21, 2019 10:00 AM

Hi guys,

Sorry, probably it could be offtopic, could you please explain me auth traffic flow between Fortigate - RSSO CPPM - AD ?

For some devices in my network, I have some issues with authentication. I will give you two examples:

Two sites, each with virtual controller and AP Aruba, both controllers have identical config. If I try to authenticate my iPhone on site 1 (iPhone is not in the domain) with my domain credetials to connect to Wi-Fi 802.1x, everything works fine, Fortigate associates my iPhone to correct group and traffic bypass correct policy. If I try to do the same on site 2, Fortgate sees my login, but do not associate my username to correct group and traffic bypass wrong policy.

What could be the issue? RSSO? Configuration of Enforcement?

Screenshot log.png:

1. First and second line - on site 2

2. Third line - on site 1

Third line - correct policy, Firts and second - wrong.

User is authenticated and has internet connection. The difference is only which policy access this traffic on Fortigate. Since I would like to have all traffic authenticated, I cannot user anymore policy for unauthenticated traffic.

Screenshot fgt.png - Fortigate sees three lines similarly. Probably it can give you some ideas also.

Please give me some ideas. Thanks!