Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

AirGroup not working after upgrade from 6.5 to 8.5

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  AirGroup not working after upgrade from 6.5 to 8.5

Posted Apr 04, 2020 12:01 PM

We have a single controller environment that was running 6.5 code. We used the migration tool to upgrade to 8.3, then did a standard upgrade to 8.5.0.7 to gain support for some new AP-515s. The migration tool took care of most everything - SSIDs, ClearPass integration, PEF policy rules, etc. However, AirGroup is no longer functioning.

I see both AirGroup servers and clients in the UI and via CLI. We have forced registration turned on, and AirGroup server devices are registered in CPPM. We are using distributed mode. No domain is defined.

show airgroup status

indicates that MDNS, DLNA, etc. are enabled, along with the services that we had set to allow before the upgrade (airplay, airprint, and so on).

I notice that both:

show airgroup cppm entries

and

show airgroup policy-entries

return 0 results. And, on CPPM Access Tracker, there are no entries for the AirGroup Authorization Service since the upgrade to 8.3.

Also looks like all the AirGroup RADIUS calls are timing out:

show airgroup cppm-server radius statistics

AirGroup RADIUS Server Statistics
    ---------------------------------
    Server PAP Rq Mismatch Rsp Bad Auth Acc Rej Ukn Rsp Tmout AvgRspTm Tot Rq Tot Rsp Uptime (d:h:m) SEQ Total/Free
    ------ ------ ------------ -------- --- --- ------- ----- -------- ------ ------- -------------- --------------
    CPPM01 59574 0 0 0 0 0 238270 0 59574 0 0:0:0 765/718
    Orphaned requests = 0

I'm still digging around, but wanted to ask if anyone has a tip, or has run into this situation after a similar upgrade. Thanks.

• 2.  RE: AirGroup not working after upgrade from 6.5 to 8.5

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2020 12:16 PM

I would look at the CPPM event viewer and see if your requests are being rejected.  Also look at the audit viewer in cppm and see if anything was changed recently.

• 3.  RE: AirGroup not working after upgrade from 6.5 to 8.5

Posted Apr 04, 2020 12:35 PM

A bunch of auth errors in the CPPM Event Viewer, coming from the controller's VLAN 1 IP address and port 41019. But, Authentication > Advanced > RADIUS Client is set to use the correct IP and source VLAN interface for talking to CPPM and 802.1X and other auths are working.

show airgroup cppm-server aaa
    AirGroup AAA profile "default" undefined.

I noticed this, as well, and am trying to find where it lives. Under Services > AirGroup, I have a profile selected, and that profile has correct CPPM information included.

• 4.  RE: AirGroup not working after upgrade from 6.5 to 8.5

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2020 01:05 PM

In 8.x, if you are using clustering the radius source ip address becomes the ip address of the cluster VRRP.  Whatever ip address is appearing in the event viewer, just add it as a NAD device in ClearPass to get it working.

If this is critical, I would open a Technical Support case in parallel to this.

• 5.  RE: AirGroup not working after upgrade from 6.5 to 8.5

Posted Apr 04, 2020 01:23 PM

Standalone controller in this case. We will open a TAC case after we've done a bit more searching.

• 6.  RE: AirGroup not working after upgrade from 6.5 to 8.5

Posted Apr 28, 2020 03:18 PM

Still working with TAC on this issue. The auth errors in Event Viewer were remedied by setting the controller IP address via CLI. The correct address was already selected in the web UI, but the AirGroup service was not using that one as the source to communicate with CPPM.

What we've seen during testing is that if we share devices using individual user names, AirGroup works as expected. If we share by AP group, it does not or discovery is intermittent, even for a group with a small number of APs. Multiple services exhibit this problem - AirPlay, Chromecast, etc.

TAC has asked us to go ahead and upgrade from 8.5.0.7 to 8.5.0.8 and test again, so we will do that next.

• 7.  RE: AirGroup not working after upgrade from 6.5 to 8.5

Posted May 20, 2020 03:46 PM

This issue persists, still working with TAC. What we see is that if we flip a device in ClearPass from shared via AP group to shared with specific user names, it shows up immediately for those users as an available AirPlay device. If we flip it back to sharing by AP group, it is no longer discovered.

The device and client are in same location, and can be on same or different APs within the same AP group.

• 8.  RE: AirGroup not working after upgrade from 6.5 to 8.5

Posted Dec 13, 2020 01:50 PM
    This issue was resolved with 8.5.0.10 for us.