Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Airgroup + Clearpass Enforce Registration

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Airgroup + Clearpass Enforce Registration

Posted Jul 08, 2015 09:19 AM

I am slightly confussed about the airgroup functionality.  We have had it running without the clearpass tie in allowing users to just access everything.  We would like to starting using the clearpass piece but only somewhat selectivly.  For example, if student puts and apple tv in there dorm room i want it to connect and be visible to everyone.  But I want the ability to let them register it and then share it with there roomates or soemthing.  Basically i want to allow things work as they do now, but give people control if they want it. I was told it does not work this way, but then i found this section of the Airgroup guide which seems to say otherwise.

The AirGroup solution allows users to view all mDNS devices by default.AirGroup provides a set of policy definitions to allow or disallow one of more AirGroup servers from being visible to specific AirGroup users. If an AirGroup server is not registered on a CPPM server, by default, the server will be visible to all AirGroup users. The administrator has to register an AirGroup server to allow or disallow this server from being visible to specific AirGroup users. The following procedure registers an AirGroup server on a CPPM server:

When i enable "AirGroup CPPM enforce registration"  all devices disapear  from my airplay list.  It does not matter if i register and share the device in clearpass or not.  

With "AirGroup CPPM enforce registration" disabled, i see every device but the sharing rules in clearpass still dont have any effect.

I worked with an engineer to configure clearpass for this, so its added as a aigroup AAA server and as an RFC 3576 server.  I saw log entries for airgroup as soon as i added them in there, so i believe they are talking correctly. so....

1.  Can I do what i am trying to do?

2. How do i get it to do that?

• 2.  RE: Airgroup + Clearpass Enforce Registration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2015 09:24 AM
    You can't do hybrid. If you enforce registration, all AirGroup server devices need to be registered. The device registration portal is designed for end users to register their own devices.

Devices registered as personal will always be visible to the person who registered them. They can optionally share it with up to 10 people.

If the device is registered as shared and no other restrictions are added, everyone in the AirGroup domain can see the devices.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 3.  RE: Airgroup + Clearpass Enforce Registration

Posted Jul 08, 2015 09:41 AM

And that is why i am confused.  This line from the guide seems to indicate otherwise:

Quote:

If an AirGroup server is not registered on a CPPM server, by default, the server will be visible to all AirGroup users.

/quote

That sounds exactly like what i want.  Visible to everyone unless i specify otherwise.  If the system truly cannot do that it seems to be a glaring flaw to me.....

• 4.  RE: Airgroup + Clearpass Enforce Registration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2015 09:44 AM
    That is not correct.

If the device is not registered, the advertisements will not be proxied. It's to stop users from seeing hundreds of devices.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 5.  RE: Airgroup + Clearpass Enforce Registration

Posted Jul 08, 2015 09:47 AM

So you are saying the guide is incorrect?  or am i reading it wrong?

• 6.  RE: Airgroup + Clearpass Enforce Registration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2015 09:54 AM
    I think there may be a mistake in the guide. What code are you running?

Thanks,
    Tim

• 7.  RE: Airgroup + Clearpass Enforce Registration

Posted Jul 08, 2015 09:57 AM

My controler is on 6.4.2.3, and clearpass is on  6.5.0.71095

The guide i am referencing is:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/unified-wired-wireless-access/15478/1/ArubaAirGroup-6136-DG.pdf

I looked in the downloads section and this is the newest version of this guide.

• 8.  RE: Airgroup + Clearpass Enforce Registration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2015 10:03 AM
    That document is EXTREMELY old and is for the old AirGroup technology
    release of code.

• 9.  RE: Airgroup + Clearpass Enforce Registration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2015 10:09 AM

Unfortunately the same language is in the new 6.4.3.x userguide here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/AirGroup/AirGroup_CPPM_Interface.htm%3FTocPath%3DAirGroup%7C_____3

We will check it out and correct it, but I do not think the way that it is stated is accurate.

• 10.  RE: Airgroup + Clearpass Enforce Registration

Posted Jul 08, 2015 10:16 AM

Thank you for the replies.  I would LOVE for it to work like the guide says.  I think i will suggest that as a feature, and i will also probably call TAC as i dont think its working right anyway since i cant get devices to show up even if Enfore Registration is enabled, and the device is registered and shared.  

• 11.  RE: Airgroup + Clearpass Enforce Registration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2015 10:19 AM
    Are you seeing AirGroup authorization messages in CPPM?

• 12.  RE: Airgroup + Clearpass Enforce Registration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2015 10:36 AM

@mwallen wrote:

Thank you for the replies.  I would LOVE for it to work like the guide says.  I think i will suggest that as a feature, and i will also probably call TAC as i dont think its working right anyway since i cant get devices to show up even if Enfore Registration is enabled, and the device is registered and shared.  

mwallen,

What is the output of 

show airgroup cppm entries

• 13.  RE: Airgroup + Clearpass Enforce Registration

Posted Feb 03, 2016 03:46 AM

Is there a pdf version of this document? its a pin having to read it on line.

A

• 14.  RE: Airgroup + Clearpass Enforce Registration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2015 09:56 AM

@mwallen wrote:

So you are saying the guide is incorrect?  or am i reading it wrong?

mwallen,

Please let us know if you have a link to that guide so we can check it out.

• 15.  RE: Airgroup + Clearpass Enforce Registration

Posted Sep 11, 2015 12:01 PM

Quote:

If an AirGroup server is not registered on a CPPM server, by default, the server will be visible to all AirGroup users.

/quote

This line is true, if you don't enforce clearpass registration then by default the aruba controller airgroup functionnality is set to allow all, you need to manually disallow Vlans and roles after.

You should enforce Clearpass Registration, then you need to manually create the device in Clearpass Guest and enable the airgroup sharing option. From that point you select Allowall for the role to share the device with.

You can also create a operator account which will have the rights to add these devices to Clearpass Guest and select who to share it with.

Also enable the [AirGroup Authorization Service] which is disabled by default in CPPM's services list.

• 16.  RE: Airgroup + Clearpass Enforce Registration

Posted Feb 03, 2016 11:11 AM

Sure :)

There is a complete Tech note dedicated to it : https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Default.aspx?EntryId=8478

You need to login under support.arubanetworks.com and then go within the tech notes folder of Clearpass, file is named : TechNote v1.3 - AirGroup Configuration with ClearPass 6.0.1

• 17.  RE: Airgroup + Clearpass Enforce Registration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 03, 2016 03:09 PM

That document is dated. Are you working with a ClearPass partner?