Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Airplay dropping: Load-Balancing to blame?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Airplay dropping: Load-Balancing to blame?

Posted Apr 01, 2014 09:22 AM

Airheads, 

We've been having a bit of an issue with using Airplay during peak client density times. The connection from the client to the AppleTV severs without warning and then can be reconnected again. This tends to happen only during times where the classrooms are fully populated with students (also the worst time for it to fail). 

I am running 6.3.1.4 with Airgroup enabled, ARM settings set to default other than "Mode Aware Arm" being enabled, which wasn't enabled previously with the same issue occuring. I was using my own blend of uneducated guesses previously and last night created a clean ARM profile to test with and just re-enabled the Mode Aware Arm. I'll be finding out today if we still are experiencing issues. 

We have added an AP into every classroom in an effort to troubleshoot this issue. I also set the AP's to prefer 5GHz since they are now in closer proximity to each other. We have a mix of 105's, 125's and 135's. 

A few weeks back we discovered interference on 2.4Ghz due to some HVAC Variable Frequency Drives that we have since disabled for troubleshooting purposes. 

My questions are as follows:

What commands in the CLI can I use to watch the specific MAC address of the AppleTV in question to see if it gets reassociated to another AP during it's active connection?

Is "Client Aware" or "Client Match" supposed to leave that AppleTV on the current controller until it stops having an active connection? Is there another command that should do that? What are the implications campus wide of enabling such command if it should resolve our load balancing issue? 

Given the standard ARM profile, should the AppleTV's "stick" to their associated AP, even when there are a lot of clients on it's AP vs fewer on the close neighbor AP?

Thanks for the help, I'm running out of guesses on this one. 

#AP135

• 2.  RE: Airplay dropping: Load-Balancing to blame?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 01, 2014 10:16 AM

theiglu,

You should be able to see a device advertise itself in Airgroup as long as it is in the "airgroup servers" table.  It should stay there until it ages out (it could take 10 minutes)  It should be that way regardless of RF interference.  If your client device has a problem getting on the network, that will affect if it sees airgroup be advertised, or not.

Do you have "Drop Broadcast and Multicast" enabled on all of your Virtual APs to prune to useless multicast?

• 3.  RE: Airplay dropping: Load-Balancing to blame?

Posted Apr 01, 2014 10:51 AM

No, I was concerned that would kill AirGroup. I assume it's safe to use with Airgroup from your statement?

• 4.  RE: Airplay dropping: Load-Balancing to blame?

Posted Apr 01, 2014 11:03 AM

Keeps warning me about "Broadcast-Filter ARP" not being enabled and how without that it will kill all ARP requests (bad). 

But, in my Stateful Firewall, the Broadcast Filter ARP setting has no checkbox next to it at all. Just blank space. 

• 5.  RE: Airplay dropping: Load-Balancing to blame?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 01, 2014 10:56 AM
    Air group was invented so that you can drop broadcasts and multicast and still use it.

• 6.  RE: Airplay dropping: Load-Balancing to blame?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 01, 2014 11:05 AM
    Broadcast filter all and ARP need to be enabled in your virtual APS. Do not touch the global firewall settings.

• 7.  RE: Airplay dropping: Load-Balancing to blame?

Posted Apr 01, 2014 11:12 AM

What is the CLI command to show a particular VAP? I want to show what I have so I don't make a mistake and kick clients. 

• 8.  RE: Airplay dropping: Load-Balancing to blame?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 01, 2014 11:14 AM

I would go through the GUI:

Configuration>  All Profiles>  Wireless LAN> Virtual AP profile..

On the commandline type "show wlan virtual-ap" to see all your virtual APs.  type "show wlan virtual-al <name of virtual ap" to see the settings for that particular one.

• 9.  RE: Airplay dropping: Load-Balancing to blame?

Posted Apr 01, 2014 11:16 AM

Virtual AP profile "Academic-VAP"
    ---------------------------------
    Parameter Value
    --------- -----
    AAA Profile Academic-AAA
    802.11K Profile default
    Hotspot 2.0 Profile default
    SSID Profile Academic-SSID
    Virtual AP enable Enabled
    VLAN Academic
    Forward mode tunnel
    Allowed band all
    Band Steering Enabled
    Steering Mode prefer-5ghz
    Dynamic Multicast Optimization (DMO) Disabled
    Dynamic Multicast Optimization (DMO) Threshold 6
    Drop Broadcast and Multicast Disabled
    Convert Broadcast ARP requests to unicast Enabled
    Authentication Failure Blacklist Time 3600 sec
    Blacklist Time 0 sec
    Deny inter user traffic Disabled
    Deny time range N/A
    DoS Prevention Disabled
    HA Discovery on-association Enabled
    Mobile IP Enabled
    Preserve Client VLAN Disabled
    QinQ Outer VLAN 0
    Remote-AP Operation standard
    Station Blacklisting Enabled
    Strict Compliance Disabled
    VLAN Mobility Disabled
    FDB Update on Assoc Disabled
    WMM Traffic Management Profile N/A

• 10.  RE: Airplay dropping: Load-Balancing to blame?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 01, 2014 11:20 AM

Drop Broadcast and Multicast Disabled

Needs to be enabled on all Virtual APs in that AP group, otherwise you will have congestion like you have been seeing.

• 11.  RE: Airplay dropping: Load-Balancing to blame?

Posted Apr 01, 2014 11:23 AM

So this isn't going to apply?

"Warning: broadcast-filter arp should be enabled with this option. Otherwise ARP requests will be dropped!"

Things in red make me nervous!

• 12.  RE: Airplay dropping: Load-Balancing to blame?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 01, 2014 11:25 AM
    It is just a reminder. The output says it is already enabled and it is enabled by default.

• 13.  RE: Airplay dropping: Load-Balancing to blame?

Posted Apr 01, 2014 11:26 AM

Thanks, I'll see how things are with that change in place. 

• 14.  RE: Airplay dropping: Load-Balancing to blame?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 01, 2014 11:32 AM

You should go to Configuration> Wireless> AP Configuration.  Edit the AP group that your access points are in.  Expand Wireless LAN.  Expand Virtual AP.  Check to make sure that all the Virtual APs in that ap-group have "Drop Broadcast and Multicast" enabled, as well, for the full effect.

• 15.  RE: Airplay dropping: Load-Balancing to blame?

Posted Apr 01, 2014 12:49 PM

Yes, I did do that. It has been applied campus wide. 

• 16.  RE: Airplay dropping: Load-Balancing to blame?

Posted May 08, 2014 12:44 PM

In my experience, disabling multicast and enabling that other option for converting ARP whatever it was, that completely disabled AirPlay.  That was before AirGroups, though.  We don't have AirGroups implemented yet, since we don't own ClearPass yet, but if we use ClearPass, then can we disable multicasting and still have AirPlay work?

• 17.  RE: Airplay dropping: Load-Balancing to blame?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 08, 2014 01:04 PM

bnewall,

Yes.  That is one of the main drivers behind that feature.