Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Amigopod: new Guest users getting Authenication failed when enter username/password

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Amigopod: new Guest users getting Authenication failed when enter username/password

Posted May 03, 2012 12:42 PM

Application logs indicate 'Maximum session limit has been reached'. Access request rejected.  I have the session limit maxed out to 1024.  How do I get new users logged in?

• 2.  RE: Amigopod: new Guest users getting Authenication failed when enter username/password

Posted May 03, 2012 12:58 PM

I cleared all active sessions and this resolved the issue.  However, can this be automatically purged without manual intervention?

• 3.  RE: Amigopod: new Guest users getting Authenication failed when enter username/password

Posted May 03, 2012 01:01 PM

Do you have RADIUS accounting configured on your controller (or whatever device you use for access)?  If not, the sessions won't be removed when users leave the network.

• 4.  RE: Amigopod: new Guest users getting Authenication failed when enter username/password

Posted May 03, 2012 01:14 PM

this is what I have on the controller

#show running-config | include radius
    Building Configuration...
    ip radius source-interface vlan 632
    aaa authentication-server radius "amigopod"
    aaa authentication-server radius "CK-Radius"
    aaa authentication-server radius "MV-Radius"
    radius-accounting "Amigopod"
    radius-accounting "Employee_Auth_Servers"

• 5.  RE: Amigopod: new Guest users getting Authenication failed when enter username/password

Posted May 03, 2012 01:25 PM

looks like I have RADIUS Accounting pointing to the Amigopod server

• 6.  RE: Amigopod: new Guest users getting Authenication failed when enter username/password

Posted May 03, 2012 01:36 PM

Indeed it does.  Do you have an idle timeout set?  You can check "show aaa timer" and see.

If so, I am not sure what is going on.

If not, that might be why clients are forever sticking in Amigopod.

Do you see a very large number of clients on the controller when doing "show user"?

• 7.  RE: Amigopod: new Guest users getting Authenication failed when enter username/password

Posted May 03, 2012 01:43 PM

# show aaa timer

User idle timeout = 300 seconds
    Auth Server dead time = 10 minutes
    Logon user lifetime = 5 minutes

I have about 8 users connected to the Guest network right now because i booted everyone off to get a new guest connected.  Is there a RADIUS Acct setting on the Amigopod server?

• 8.  RE: Amigopod: new Guest users getting Authenication failed when enter username/password

Posted May 03, 2012 02:11 PM

RADIUS accounting should be listening by default.  I don't think there is a way to disable it.

Do you see about the same number of users in Amigopod and on the controller?  If you connect and disconnect from your guest network, do you see yourself come and go from Amigopod?

This may be something that TAC could better assist with since they can start a web meeting and see the issue first hand.

• 9.  RE: Amigopod: new Guest users getting Authenication failed when enter username/password

Posted May 03, 2012 03:03 PM

well, our environment consists of IAP acting as Virtual Controllers and we also have physical controllers.  So to compare if I see on both would be cumbersome.  I do notice a ton of active sessions on Amigopod from the same MAC address (username column) coming from 1 of the IAP.  And this IAP just happens to be leaving the cluster daily until i do a "reboot all" from the VC.

• 10.  RE: Amigopod: new Guest users getting Authenication failed when enter username/password

Posted May 03, 2012 03:43 PM

It sounds like that IAP is doing NAT, so all guest sessions would appear to be the same MAC.  If the AP is crashing or getting rebooted, it is probably not cleaning up the sessions.  That could be the root of the problem.

• 11.  RE: Amigopod: new Guest users getting Authenication failed when enter username/password

Posted May 03, 2012 03:45 PM

would disabling Accounting on that IAP solve the issue of too many active sessions?

• 12.  RE: Amigopod: new Guest users getting Authenication failed when enter username/password

Posted May 03, 2012 03:48 PM

I think that would just make it worse.  Acct is used to add/remove sessions from the table, so if you dont have acct, you dont have control of the sessions.