Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Sep 20, 2018 12:14 PM

Since iOS12 we are no longer possible to connect to company vpn using iPhone or iPad.

The ios via app simply states ”Upgrade required” and thats it.

Any upgrades planned?

• 2.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 20, 2018 12:25 PM
    Apple removed the framework that was used by most VPN apps in both iOS 12 and macOS 10.14. We’re working diligently to release an updated app that will work on iOS 12.

• 3.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Oct 02, 2018 04:01 AM

@cappalli wrote:
    Apple removed the framework that was used by most VPN apps in both iOS 12 and macOS 10.14. We’re working diligently to release an updated app that will work on iOS 12.

Hi!
    Do you have a source, explaining that "Apple removed the framework that was used by most VPN" in their latest OS release?

Do you have any additional information when to expect a solution for VIA on macOS 10.14?

TIA, 
    Danjel

• 4.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

• 5.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Oct 02, 2018 06:58 AM

@cjoseph wrote:

There is this:  https://www.mobileiron.com/en/blog/Apples-IOS-12-and-Network-Extension-Framework-for-VPN-Clients

Much appreciated and thanks for sharing C.

//D

• 6.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Oct 14, 2018 07:41 PM

Hey Tim,

Any update/ETA on the iOS12 or MacOS 10.14 client?

Thanks

• 7.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Oct 16, 2018 09:23 AM

I had put in a ticket on both of these and found that there's a new iOS app (v3.0.3) available in the App Store that works with iOS 12.  Note that it's a brand new VIA app that you need to download, and the old app (v3.0.2) won't upgrade to the new version. 

I only got that they're working on the macOS Mojave app with no time frame listed for resolution.  Very frustrating.

• 8.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Oct 17, 2018 01:51 PM

Response to my open TAC last night on issue of no VIA client for macOS Mojave:

"We apologize for the inconvenience. Engineering team is still working for Mojave.

It might take some time to release for macOS Mojave so please let me know if we can archive this TAC case for now once release will be available we will keep you posted."

• 9.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Oct 24, 2018 01:36 PM

I have 2 clients for which I must use Aruba VIA VPN and I also need to upgrade to Mojave for other reasons. Mojave was in beta from June to September and in release for almost 2 months now. Why is it taking so long to release a Mojave compatible version of Aruba VIA??

• 10.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 24, 2018 01:39 PM
    We essentially had rewrite the app from scratch. Apple completely changed their underlying framework and now requires the app to only be made available in the app store.

We apologize for the delay, but unfortunately it has been somewhat out of our control.

• 11.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Oct 29, 2018 11:49 AM

It doesn't matter to users if we get it from your site or in the app store. What matters is when it will be available. This issue is causing a lot of business issues for your users.

• 12.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Nov 05, 2018 11:10 AM

Tim,

There are many of us that are supporting Aruba environments that need a better timeline as to when we can expect to have support for Aruba VIA under MacOS 10.14.  Other major vendors like Cisco had fixes available at or near launch of Mojave, and it's frustrating to have zero answers as to when we might expect a similar fix for Aruba environments.

I do understand that there are major challenges here that required a re-write, and that it may have caught your team off guard as to the level of re-engineering required.  That being said, it's difficult to forgive the lack of clarity on a timeline - is tomorrow or next week possible?  Or will it be Q4 2020?  That would help those of us trying to support this environment greatly as to what we can let our users know.

• 13.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Nov 05, 2018 11:34 AM

This is unacceptable support. It would appear that Aruba either doesn't care about its user base or is extrememly poor at communicating with the use base, or likely both.

• 14.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 05, 2018 11:36 AM
    Hi Mike - Please ping your Aruba account team to escalate.

• 15.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Nov 05, 2018 11:58 AM
      |   view attached

I've tried and have an open TAC on the issue, but have gotten nothing beyond a copy of the Sept. 20 notice (attached) that it would take a while to fix the issue, along with multiple requests from the support side to close the issue.  

• 16.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Nov 05, 2018 12:04 PM

This is pointless. They don't care amd clearly not going to produce a fix anytime soon.

• 17.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 05, 2018 12:05 PM

PTVMan - please direct message me some information about your organization so we can reach out.

• 18.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 05, 2018 12:13 PM

Mike ~

I am sorry to hear about your negative expeience around this.

With iOS12 and macOS Mojave, Apple removed the VPN framework that many vpn solutions have been using.  

The new iOS VPN framework that Apple provided meant that some things needed to be re-tested in the App Store prior to release.  This caused some longer than expected delays between submission and approvals that resulted in the late release of VIA 3.0.3 for iOS. 

We made the decision to allow legacy iOS users the ability to continue to download the old VIA release (3.0.2) that was posted under the traditional publisher name "Aruba Networks VIA" and the updated 3.0.3 client being released under the name "Aruba Virtual Intranet Access".  The later is the version that is required to download on iOS systems running 12+ at this time.

As this is recognized to cause some confusion with many users, and prevents the automatic update function from working correctly, the next planned release will be released under both names to allow all customers to update correctly.

I appologize again for this information not being clearly dispersed to you.

• 19.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Nov 05, 2018 12:16 PM

Bryan, 

Thanks for the clarification on the iOS app.  I had discovered that a while ago and do have the v.3.0.3 in use in our location and have had no issues with it.

My frustration lies with the lack of updates on the status of the macOS Mojave fix currently and would appreciate a timeframe when we might expect to see a solution.  Thanks again for reaching out.

• 20.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Nov 05, 2018 12:18 PM

Ditto in the Mojave fix.

• 21.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 05, 2018 12:26 PM

Answering the concerns around the macOS Mojave support, we are hopeful to have this within the next few weeks.

Initially we anticipated a minor delay from Mojave release to supported release of 2-3 weeks, we have obviously missed this.  During some of the testing we have found that there were additional constraints that the new framework were causing some known customer workflows to fail intermitently.  We have been working with Apple to resolve these issues as quickly as possible. Our QA team is performing another regression prior to submission to Apple.

Because of the change in VPN framework, Apple is now requiring all VPN clients that use this framework to be distributed through the Apple App Store exclusively.  This means that the new version will be required to download through the App Store for installation.  It also means that the ability to push the updated client from the controller will be lost for this client update.

The question will come up as to why not all vendors have the same problem with releasing through the store.  There are two (2) options for VPNs that are currently supported by macOS.  The first is the new framework, the other is a kernel module.  Some vendors have opted for the kernel module rather than the framework and are then able to release outside the store.  

• 22.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Nov 05, 2018 12:31 PM

Thanks for the detailed response.  This was the kind of update that I had been looking for.  Appreciate the time, and best of luck in getting the new client out quickly!

• 23.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Nov 28, 2018 10:45 AM

Is there an update on progress? The length of time is becoming laughable.

• 24.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 28, 2018 10:50 AM
    VIA for iOS 12 was released over two months ago.

• 25.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Nov 28, 2018 10:54 AM

Read above. The thread has transitioned to being about support for Mojave.

• 26.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 28, 2018 10:59 AM
    The Mojave update was released two weeks ago.

• 27.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Nov 28, 2018 11:53 AM

@cappalli - Thanks for the shout out. :)

With regards, 
    Danjel

• 28.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Nov 28, 2018 11:58 AM

Where can I download the Mac client that is compatible with Mojave?

• 29.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Dec 03, 2018 03:48 PM

Can anyone tell me where to get the Mojave compatible client?

• 30.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

• 31.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 03, 2018 03:52 PM

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 3.51.18 PM.png

• 32.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Dec 04, 2018 11:13 AM

We use the auto update on the VIA controller... is there going to be a package available to download from support.arubanetworks.com to be able to load out on our controller?

• 33.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Dec 04, 2018 11:24 AM

"

@DougUllman wrote:

We use the auto update on the VIA controller... is there going to be a package available to download from support.arubanetworks.com to be able to load out on our controller?

"

"Because of the change in VPN framework, Apple is now requiring all VPN clients that use this framework to be distributed through the Apple App Store exclusively.  This means that the new version will be required to download through the App Store for installation.  It also means that the ability to push the updated client from the controller will be lost for this client update."

• 34.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2018 11:32 AM
    Unfortunately this is no longer available due to Apple’s requirement to use the Mac App Store.

• 35.  RE: Aruba VIA Requires Upgrade in iOS12

Posted Dec 04, 2018 11:40 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, guys. I was unaware of that change. Have a few users who have been waiting to update to Mojave, and/or be able to VPN again.