Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba ctrl mgmt access with clearpass failing with certain psswords

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Aruba ctrl mgmt access with clearpass failing with certain psswords

MVP
    Posted Mar 30, 2017 07:19 AM

In a setup with Aruba 7220 controllers and Clearpass I was trying to authenticate the controllers management users through Clearpass' Admin User Repository.

This kept failing however. After some investigation it seems this process (aruba ctrl authenticating at cppm admin user) doesn't seem to accept the password I was testing with. Changing my 'unique' password to something simple fixes the issue.

But with the password below I cannot log on into the controller. Logging into Clearpass itself with the same user/password does not give any issues.
    The ‘faulty passwd’:

uFOtaRrCR3Vl!g9*vf%qS^U1Nf3GBROzP0gq5ty84HY4M#QAFdiQVwc%C%EtQrBc6ek5AKXOxjJr!Ky@6!Dhu$I$K4yl5PI%q

Trying another password

iAliCEyouSuBSoniSItYrnyMPLEDeCANtabLeyAlPiR

without any special characters whatsoever and only 44 chars long and I still cannot log on.

So, why is this failing? Is this a bug in the chain somewhere or is this a limitation I’m not aware off?

• 2.  RE: Aruba ctrl mgmt access with clearpass failing with certain psswords
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 31, 2017 04:11 AM
    The password for a controller must be less than 32 characters.

• 3.  RE: Aruba ctrl mgmt access with clearpass failing with certain psswords

MVP
    Posted Mar 31, 2017 04:34 AM

Well, that would explain it. 

Thanks.