Security

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS switch Captive-portal-redirect 414 Request-URI too long

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS switch Captive-portal-redirect 414 Request-URI too long

Posted Aug 26, 2019 03:23 PM

I'm getting familiar with the ArubaOS wired policy enforcemnt concepts.  I've reviewed a number of applicable tech notes and they are great; however, I'm experiencing an issue with the captive portal redirect.

My test client gets the correct user role and the proper captive portal address is visable, so it appears it's being redirected to the applicable portal, but it recieves a 414 error Request-URI Too Long and never displays the portal page page.  Has anybody seen this issue, thought I'd ask before contacting TAC.

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS switch Captive-portal-redirect 414 Request-URI too long

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 27, 2019 09:23 AM

do you have check the URL redirect ? (with a capture ?)

The flow to CPPM is allowed ?

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS switch Captive-portal-redirect 414 Request-URI too long

Posted Aug 30, 2019 01:06 PM
    Can you please share your config

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 4.  RE: ArubaOS switch Captive-portal-redirect 414 Request-URI too long

Posted Feb 18, 2021 09:55 AM
    This problem might be caused by the Apache limits the set a size of a client's HTTP request-line and the HTTP request header field size. Extremely long URLs are usually a mistake. If you keep URLs under 2000 characters , they'll work in virtually any combination of client and server software. URI actually have a character limit depending on several things. Chrome limits url length of 2MB for practical reasons and to avoid causing denial-of-service problems in inter-process communication. On most platforms, Chrome's omnibox limits URL display to 32kB ( kMaxURLDisplayChars ) although a 1kB limit is used on VR platforms. IE - 2083 characters, Firefox - 2047 characters, Safari 80000 characters and Opera 190,000 characters.

To resolve the problem :

• By POST request: Convert query string to json object and sent to API request with POST
    • By GET request: Max length of request is depend on sever side as well as client side. Most webserver have limit 8k which is configurable. On the client side the different browser has different limit. The browser IE and Safari limit to 2k, Opera 4k and Firefox 8k. means the max length for the GET request is 8k and min request length is 2k.

If exceed the request max length then the request truncated outside the limit by web server or browser without any warning. Some server truncated request data but the some server reject it because of data lose and they will return with response code 414.

------------------------------
    Gerald Warp

• 5.  RE: ArubaOS switch Captive-portal-redirect 414 Request-URI too long

Posted Mar 04, 2022 04:43 AM
    Hello, 
    We have the same issue with multiple Aruba Switches and clearpass cluster up toi date.

Did you found a solution ?

Regards

Benoit DAVID