Security

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Authenticating 802.1x wifi network against SQL database MD5 password

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Authenticating 802.1x wifi network against SQL database MD5 password

Posted Jan 31, 2017 08:29 PM

Hi all

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to get our wifi clients to authenticate with PEAP against a stored password in a SQL database... We store their passwords in an MD5 hash in a database and I have a working query to retrieve that password. I've put an authentication source together for this and can see it's working through debug logs, so that side of things is fine.

However, I can't figure out how to get clients authenticating. The reason I want to use PEAP rather than a captive portal is that I want this CPPM service to test a few different authentication sources out and apply profiles based on the matching source. Those sources are AD and other RADIUS servers (which works fine).

I've tried a number of things... a standalone service with PAP as the method, a service with EAP-PEAP as the method and EAP-MD5 as the inner method, ... no matter what I do, I can't get clients (in particular, I'm testing with an iPhone) to authenticate at all, against an SQL database with a hashed password for the user.

Should there be a way to do this? At one stage, I had it working by using a Cleartext password against this SQL database, although that was a few weeks ago now and I can't remember how. But I just can't get it working with an MD5 password. I'd assume that the password, when received from the client, could simply be hashed and compared against the result from the SQL server, but I'm not an expert in 802.1x/PEAP/EAP and so there's probably a good reason this isn't working.

Appreciate any help!

Brett

• 2.  RE: Authenticating 802.1x wifi network against SQL database MD5 password

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 31, 2017 11:21 PM

According to the protocol compatibility chart here:  http://deployingradius.com/documents/protocols/compatibility.html

MD5 will only work if the passwords are cleartext...

Just like PEAP will only work of the passwords are nt_hash or cleartext...

• 3.  RE: Authenticating 802.1x wifi network against SQL database MD5 password

Posted Feb 01, 2017 12:14 AM

Thanks Colin

I was hoping there would be a way to grab the supplied password from the user and hash it before comparing with the database but I now gather that these protocols are not that simple. Will come up with an alternative!

Brett.

• 4.  RE: Authenticating 802.1x wifi network against SQL database MD5 password

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2017 07:37 AM

Brett,

Maybe someone has had the same experience and has a solution...

• 5.  RE: Authenticating 802.1x wifi network against SQL database MD5 password

Posted Feb 09, 2017 11:04 AM

Were you able to figure anything out to make this work?  I am having the same issue.

• 6.  RE: Authenticating 802.1x wifi network against SQL database MD5 password

Posted Feb 09, 2017 04:08 PM

Afraid not, I tried many different things. I don't totally understand what happens under the covers after a user hits "Connect" when they type their password in, but I can only assume it is instantly encrypted in some sort of irreversable manner which then cannot be hashed to compare with another hash stored in a database. I'm no cryptologist though :)

Brett

• 7.  RE: Authenticating 802.1x wifi network against SQL database MD5 password

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2017 04:12 PM
    You'd likely need to use EAP-TTLS. PEAPv0/EAP-MSCHAPv2 relies on NTLM
    hashes.

• 8.  RE: Authenticating 802.1x wifi network against SQL database MD5 password

Posted Feb 09, 2017 04:21 PM

If only iOS worked natively with EAP-TTLS! :)

• 9.  RE: Authenticating 802.1x wifi network against SQL database MD5 password

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2017 04:28 PM
    It does. You just need to install a network configuration profile.

• 10.  RE: Authenticating 802.1x wifi network against SQL database MD5 password

Posted Feb 09, 2017 04:31 PM

Yes, when I say natively, I mean that a user can just join it without needing MDM or a visit to IT. I have 2,000 students I wanted to be able to connect by using their MD5 login, rather than a plaintext version of it I've captured from the LMS and stored in a seperate database, but for now the latter is going to have to suffice until we give all these students AD/O365 logins.

Major feature request: O365 (Azure AD) as an authentication source without needing something like Okta in the middle.

• 11.  RE: Authenticating 802.1x wifi network against SQL database MD5 password

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2017 04:47 PM
    We support Azure AD today as part of Onboard workflows.

Short explanation: Azure AD (and G Suite and others) do not store NTLM
    hashes of credentials therefore PEAPv0/EAP-MSCHAPv2 will never be supported.
    PEAPv0/EAP-MSCHAPv2 is slowly dying as more modern and secure protocols take
    over (which is a VERY good thing).

• 12.  RE: Authenticating 802.1x wifi network against SQL database MD5 password

Posted Feb 09, 2017 04:50 PM

Understood... however, I've been using this with some success:

https://github.com/jimdigriz/freeradius-oauth2-perl

If I'm not mistaken, ClearPass is based on FreeRADIUS under the covers, so maybe a concept like this could be refined and implemented within CPPM?

• 13.  RE: Authenticating 802.1x wifi network against SQL database MD5 password

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2017 04:55 PM
    You'd still need EAP-TTLS for that. Also, you now have an authentication
    process that is dependent on cloud connectivity which can cause serious
    issues. Another issue is that storing credentials on devices is becoming
    very poor security practice.