Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Authorizing Multiple Mac Based Devices

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Authorizing Multiple Mac Based Devices

Posted Jan 11, 2019 07:38 AM

Could someone please give me an example of a policy to do mac based authentication via two different devices. Right now I have 2 policies, one for Ap's and one for IP phones. No matter how I have it set everything stops at the first policy. I'm looking for individual policies for Phones, AP's, and Printers.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Authorizing Multiple Mac Based Devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2019 08:15 AM
    Take a look at the MAC auth service configurations in the ClearPass Solution Guide for Wired Policy Enforcement.

• 3.  RE: Authorizing Multiple Mac Based Devices

Posted Jan 11, 2019 08:28 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I directly copied and pasted your suggestion into google and it came up with a pdf linked by you. While browsing it it appears that the example involves placing all MAB devices into one policy. Is this the only method outside from the second example of providing a captive portal? I would really like to have individual policies for printers, AP's, and IP phones, opr did I miss something in the document?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Authorizing Multiple Mac Based Devices
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2019 08:31 AM
    You have multiple rules in a single enforcement policy, yes. This is how ClearPass works.

• 5.  RE: Authorizing Multiple Mac Based Devices

Posted Jan 11, 2019 08:42 AM

OK. So I was right in assuming that Clearpass stops at the first authentication match then evaluates the rules for a match, whereas Cisco ISE does not stop processing rules until there is an authorization match even if there are multiple matching authentication methods.

Its probably best for me to just allow the SE to configure this, as Clearpass does not make as much sense as ISE did when I configured it 5yrs ago.

Thanks for the time saver.

• 6.  RE: Authorizing Multiple Mac Based Devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2019 08:45 AM
    Policy is about matching explicit conditions, like a firewall rule. Matching all doesn't really make sense and leaves a lot of room for misconfiguration resulting in the wrong access granted.