Security

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all
This thread has been viewed 38 times
  • 1.  Backup CPPM

Posted Dec 19, 2012 02:10 PM

Does anyone know of a way to backup Clearpass Policy Manager without going into the GUI? I've tried from the CLI but the backup command does not give an option for backup to say a TFTP. I also cannot connect with WinSCP to establish an SSH connection. Any help would be appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Backup CPPM

MVP
    Posted Apr 19, 2013 08:41 AM

Sorry to revive this thread but does anybody have a proper way to automate backups?

This realy should be scriptable and the CLI backup command doesn't seem to leave place for indeed ftp or any other server option tpo transfer your backups to.

• 3.  RE: Backup CPPM

Posted May 29, 2013 02:56 PM

Can backup's be done durring normal working hours? It doesn't stop services does it?

• 4.  RE: Backup CPPM
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2013 07:35 PM

This would depend on what you are backing up. If you want to do a full back up its not recommended. CPPM will do an automatic backup every night. You can configure if you want just config or config/sessions

backup.png

The backup runs around 1 am every night. Currently the time is a locked in value.

backupfolder.png

• 5.  RE: Backup CPPM

Posted Sep 10, 2013 10:25 AM

Is there a way to offload the backup to a samba or nfs share? I can run a script on a linux machine to do the file copy however, there do not appear to be any options to do this under the appadmin login through ssh.The automated backup feature is great until the harddrive on the clear pass server dies.

• 6.  RE: Backup CPPM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 10, 2013 10:39 AM

@keithcr wrote:

Is there a way to offload the backup to a samba or nfs share? I can run a script on a linux machine to do the file copy however, there do not appear to be any options to do this under the appadmin login through ssh.The automated backup feature is great until the harddrive on the clear pass server dies.

Keithcr,

Please take a look at the knowledgebase article here:  https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/FAQ/CPPM-External-Data-Puller-Tool-to-automatically-pull-CPPM-backups and see if that meets you rneeds...

• 7.  RE: Backup CPPM

Posted Sep 10, 2013 01:22 PM

That works perfectly! Thanks!

• 8.  RE: Backup CPPM

Posted Sep 10, 2013 03:18 PM

Is this tool only available to customers who have purchased directly from Aruba?

• 9.  RE: Backup CPPM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 10, 2013 05:27 PM
    Just PM me and I will get you a copy

• 10.  RE: Backup CPPM

Posted Oct 23, 2017 06:19 AM

Hello,

Could I please grab a copy of the clearpass backup tool?

Thank You!

• 11.  RE: Backup CPPM

Posted Oct 23, 2017 06:53 AM

Hi

The datapuller tool can be downloaded from the support site.

https://support.arubanetworks.com/DownloadSoftware/tabid/75/DMXModule/510/Default.aspx?EntryId=11857

Regards

Jonas Hammarbäck

• 12.  RE: Backup CPPM

Posted Sep 25, 2013 04:21 AM

Hi

I have implemented the External Data Puller service and also found a minor issue in the software.

If you have NAT between the machine running the data puller service and your ClearPass host the back up will not work.

From the log file I see that the service is redirected to the actual IP of the ClearPass host when it try to fetch the back up files and thus it can't downlod the file.

But if you don't have NAT the service works fine. 

Regards

Jonas

• 13.  RE: Backup CPPM

Posted Oct 04, 2013 08:23 PM

Hey,

Today I got a chance to actually do a full restore from the auto backups that are generated from the ClearPass and all I have to say is that they are awesome!

We had an issue with our CPPM that eventually led to us having to redo our server.

We put together a new server, gave it a set of IP's, loaded up our backup and were back online in about 15 minutes.

We were even able to reuse the IP's from the old server by simple shutting down the old and changing the IP's on the new server. No need to make changes to the controller or to DNS.

The backup restored EVERYTHING! All of our certs from Onboarded devices, all of the modifications we had made to our Self-registration pages... Everything!

I was super impressed. Aruba did a really nice job!

Thanks to the techs that helped us out!

Cheers

• 14.  RE: Backup CPPM

Posted Jan 05, 2016 03:24 PM

Is there really no way to have your backups sent to a NAS or file share but only to have it be pulled from a Linux box that runs this file puller. To me this seems archaic. There has to be another way.

• 15.  RE: Backup CPPM
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 05, 2016 03:29 PM
    Starting in 6.5 you can have it automatically exported to using SFTP or SCP

• 16.  RE: Backup CPPM

Posted Sep 16, 2013 09:05 AM

Hello, could someone tell me how to deal with two pairs of cluster CPPM. I test on the first cluster that is ok, I try to change the config file-info to put a second cluster but it does not work, only the first is ok. I'm version 6.1
    Thank you for your help

• 17.  RE: Backup CPPM

Posted Sep 16, 2013 02:34 PM

Hi,

Just out curiousity, is it worth it to backup the session data?

If we do not back it up what exactly as we missing out on?

Sorry one more question. Is the information from the ClearPass Guest and ClearPass Onboard also included in this backup? 

Thank you,

Cheers

• 18.  RE: Backup CPPM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 17, 2013 11:14 PM

@bourne wrote:

Hi,

Just out curiousity, is it worth it to backup the session data?

If we do not back it up what exactly as we missing out on?

Sorry one more question. Is the information from the ClearPass Guest and ClearPass Onboard also included in this backup? 

Thank you,

Cheers

Config= Server settings, Certs, endpoints, guest users

Session= anything you would get in access tracker (user history)

• 19.  RE: Backup CPPM

Posted Sep 23, 2013 10:46 AM

Thank you @tarnold!