Security

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Behaviour of colorless ports when ClearPass fails

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Behaviour of colorless ports when ClearPass fails

Posted Jun 18, 2019 10:04 AM

Hi guys,

In a colorless ports implementation with Cisco switches, if ClearPass failed, what is the behaviour of the ports? Will they be assigned a default dACL? Or is it like 802.1X and MAC auth fails when a guest user connects to the switch port?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: Behaviour of colorless ports when ClearPass fails

Posted Jun 18, 2019 10:33 AM
    It depends on the requirements and what type of authentication is enabled on each port.

You could enforce a URL redirect (catch all) when the users fails 802.1X or if the device doesn’t meet any of the Mac authentication conditions (assuming you are using MAB)

Another option is that user/device could be dropped in a guest or remediation VLAN

But at the end of the day it depends on the security requirements for the project

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 3.  RE: Behaviour of colorless ports when ClearPass fails

Posted Jun 18, 2019 11:09 AM

You could enforce a URL redirect (catch all) when the users fails 802.1X or if the device doesn’t meet any of the Mac authentication conditions (assuming you are using MAB)

Another option is that user/device could be dropped in a guest or remediation VLAN

Hi Victor,

Maybe I didn't explain well. When I said "if ClearPass failed" I meant "if ClearPass went down". Then, does this also apply when ClearPass goes down? I believe not since for example a URL redirect or a remediation VLAN should be returned from ClearPass, not possible if ClearPass is down.

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: Behaviour of colorless ports when ClearPass fails
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 18, 2019 01:18 PM
    See here the Cisco switch feature “Inaccessible Authentication Bypass”:
    https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_40_se/configuration/guide/scg/sw8021x.pdf#page13

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 5.  RE: Behaviour of colorless ports when ClearPass fails

Posted Jun 19, 2019 03:38 PM

Thanks Victor, that's exactly what I was looking for :)

Regards,

Julián