Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Best Practice: migrating from old captive portal to clearpass

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Best Practice: migrating from old captive portal to clearpass

Posted Mar 19, 2014 01:55 PM

I am moving from our home brew captive portal to clearpass guest, and need to mitigate any problems users would have as best as possible.  Users have devices registered in the old system that can bypass the captive portal (game consoles, etc)  I want to grandfather the old database in at least for 6 months until the new system has been in place and users have had the oppertunity to add devices using MACTrac.   I have username and mac address and description of all devices in the old system, Can I import them directly into the MACTrac database, using the sponsor name field to allow the existing users to edit the data? 

• 2.  RE: Best Practice: migrating from old captive portal to clearpass
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 19, 2014 02:04 PM

Yes this should be possible on the guest side of ClearPass under Import Accounts.  You can only import 1000 at a time.  If you are unsure of the fields you want/headers, create a couple of MAC devices under ClearPass Guest; then export them (under Export Accounts).  You can choose which fields you want to include in the export by selecting Customize Default Export View (top right).

• 3.  RE: Best Practice: migrating from old captive portal to clearpass

Posted Mar 19, 2014 02:11 PM

perfect! is there a max devices that can be in the mactrac database?

• 4.  RE: Best Practice: migrating from old captive portal to clearpass

Posted Mar 19, 2014 02:31 PM

I don't know if there is any real limit to the guest DB, we have some accounts with over a million records.

• 5.  RE: Best Practice: migrating from old captive portal to clearpass

Posted Mar 19, 2014 02:40 PM

I will try to keep it under 1 million then :D