Security

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Blocking traffic between authenticated users

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Blocking traffic between authenticated users

Posted Oct 23, 2019 01:18 PM

If I have 30 different user roles, is there a simple way do a rule that would block traffic between all the roles, but allow traffic out from the controller?

I could do this manually but with 30 roles it's 900 rules to every pair of user roles :)

I tried to do alias:user -> alias:user block rule, but that blocked everything. If I select "user" as a source there's no option to select "User Role" for destination, that would've narrowed the rules to 30

• 2.  RE: Blocking traffic between authenticated users

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2019 02:01 PM

EDIT:

You will need to upgrade to ArubaOS 8.5.0.3 for this one, where it is fixed:

Have you already tried "firewall deny-inter-user-traffic":   https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_85_Web_Help/Content/arubaos-solutions/1cli-commands/firewall.htm?Highlight=firewall%20deny-inter-user-traffic

Screenshot 2019-10-23 at 13.05.10.png

• 3.  RE: Blocking traffic between authenticated users

Posted Oct 23, 2019 02:26 PM

I'm running 8.4.0.4 currently. Would this block traffic between different user roles, in a dynamic segmentation case also? I have few roles created for example cameras, hvac, printers, sensors etc and those don't have any reason to talk to each other

Edit: but of course there probably will be exceptions, so it'd be nice to have policies that could do that. And then add those exceptions before the deny rules

• 4.  RE: Blocking traffic between authenticated users
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2019 03:15 PM

If that is what you need, you need to do role to role denies, then.  That is fixed in ArubaOS 8.5.0.3

Screenshot 2019-10-23 at 12.59.57.png

Screenshot 2019-10-23 at 12.58.19.png

EDIT:  Yes it should work with dynamic segmentation.

• 5.  RE: Blocking traffic between authenticated users

Posted Nov 03, 2019 03:57 PM

Ah of course, now that I actually updated to 8.5.0.4 and started playing with this I remembered that I'm doing L2 VLANs from controller to firewall... so there's no need to do blocking rules from role1 to role2 as it goes to firewall anyways :)

I did user-role: iot -> user-role: iot deny, and this seems to be working as expected. Now I can block everything between two IoT devices but allow them access other networks, if the firewall permits. Works well with dynamic segmentation too.