Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Bridged-mode: Roles and Radius accounting

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Bridged-mode: Roles and Radius accounting

Posted Nov 14, 2013 04:24 AM

Hi everybody,

I have, among the others, a virtual-ap group with APs in bridged mode and WPA2 PSK auth... Which are the best settings for AAA Initial role, Mac authentication Default Role, 802.1X Authentication Default Role? (Now they are: guest, guest, authenticated... I want to deny everything to unauth clients, and permit everything to auth ones, and I have already experienced that a "deny all" as Initial role breaks the authentication process avoiding clients to establish WPA handshake)

I have Aruba MC6000 and AP135, OS 6.2.0.2

And, btw, is it possible in my deployment to have radius accounting (and interim as well) for that kind of clients? (aka, does controller send to APs radius accounting parameters to allow them to send records to my freeradius? - APs' IP already accepted as freeradius clients)

Thank you very much

Best regards

Andrea Barontini

• 2.  RE: Bridged-mode: Roles and Radius accounting
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2013 05:42 AM

@baro wrote:

Hi everybody,

I have, among the others, a virtual-ap group with APs in bridged mode and WPA2 PSK auth... Which are the best settings for AAA Initial role, Mac authentication Default Role, 802.1X Authentication Default Role? (Now they are: guest, guest, authenticated... I want to deny everything to unauth clients, and permit everything to auth ones, and I have already experienced that a "deny all" as Initial role breaks the authentication process avoiding clients to establish WPA handshake)

I have Aruba MC6000 and AP135, OS 6.2.0.2

And, btw, is it possible in my deployment to have radius accounting (and interim as well) for that kind of clients? (aka, does controller send to APs radius accounting parameters to allow them to send records to my freeradius? - APs' IP already accepted as freeradius clients)

Thank you very much

Best regards

Andrea Barontini

For WPA/2 PSK clients, the initial role in the AAA profile is the role that a client gets when it attaches.  The initial role is normally saved for Virtual APs where the clients do not authenticate when they attach (PSK networks or open networks).

You can only send radius accounting for clients that send radius traffic to a server.  WPA2-PSK clients do NOT send radius traffic to a server unless you have a mac authentication profile attached to your aaa profile that would point  to a radius server.  That means, if you are not doing mac authentication, you also cannot send radius accounting information using a WPA2-PSK SSID.

• 3.  RE: Bridged-mode: Roles and Radius accounting

Posted Nov 17, 2013 03:09 PM

Ok thank you very much... thanks to your explaination now the roles' meaning in bridged-mode is more meaningful for me!

Regarding MAC auth in bridged mode.. the NAS IP sent to my freeradius would be AP's IP or controller's IP? (I think the latter, but I hope the first ;-) )

Best regards

Andrea Barontini

• 4.  RE: Bridged-mode: Roles and Radius accounting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2013 03:22 PM
    Controller's... There is an attribute in radius that sends the ap name, as well.

• 5.  RE: Bridged-mode: Roles and Radius accounting

Posted Nov 18, 2013 03:05 AM

Ok thank you very much for all infos

Best regards

A.B.