Security

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

This thread has been viewed 32 times
  • 1.  CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

Posted Feb 12, 2014 08:42 AM

The customer has created a test account and they have confirmed that the account is active and the password is correct but I keep getting this error: MSCHAP: AD status:Reading winbind reply failed! (0xc0000001) 

2014-02-06 13_56_58-Course Window.png

I disabled this but it didn't make a difference

2014-02-12 08_33_20-ClearPass Policy Manager - Aruba Networks.png

Wondering if anybody has seen this particular error

• 2.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2014 08:45 AM

Is each CP server joined to the AD domain?

• 3.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

Posted Feb 12, 2014 08:48 AM

Yeah , it just one appliance

• 4.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2014 08:56 AM

Like Capelli said, the physical appliance not being joined to the domain is the most common reason for that error.

• 5.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

Posted Feb 12, 2014 08:59 AM
    It's been joined .

Could it be the account provided to join the CPPM to the domain ?

• 6.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2014 09:00 AM

Once you join it, the account used does not matter.  You should attempt to remove it, and then rejoin it, if possible.  I would look to see if your AD authentication source is indeed the instance that was joined to the domain.

• 7.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

Posted Feb 12, 2014 09:20 AM

I was able to confirm that the AD source was showing up with no issues.

Since the customer provided with a new admin account I suggested that we use the actual Admin account so went ahead and removed the CPPM from the domain and re-add it again but I am still getting the same error.

• 8.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

Posted Feb 12, 2014 09:24 AM

I am also able to browse 

2014-02-12 09_22_25-ClearPass Policy Manager - Aruba Networks.png

• 9.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2014 09:00 AM

Does the AD account setup in the AD source as the bind account and/or the account used to join the domain have sufficient rights to read user account data in AD?

• 10.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2014 09:28 AM
    Browsing is not related to joining to the domain. It uses ldap.

• 11.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

Posted Feb 12, 2014 09:31 AM

Good point.

If there's an issue with joining the domain would I been able to complete the process and see it listed under the authentication source ?

• 12.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 12, 2014 09:33 AM

Could it be a firewall issue on the domain controller ? 

Besides using port 389 what other ports do I need ?

• 13.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2014 09:32 AM
    Make sure the CPPM computer account was not disabled or removed from the domain.

• 14.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

Posted Feb 12, 2014 09:33 AM

@cjoseph wrote:
    Make sure the CPPM computer account was not disabled or removed from the domain.

Let me confirm that.

• 15.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2014 09:36 AM

You may need to open TCP 445 / 137 / 138

There is a predefined firewall  ruleset in Windows Server that opens all necessary ports for AD. You can modify the scope of that ruleset for the ClearPass server IP(s)

• 16.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

Posted Feb 12, 2014 09:53 AM

They are going to update the firewall/antivirus ...

• 17.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

Posted Feb 12, 2014 10:54 AM

Removed all the firewall rules and the computer account is there as well but still now luck

• 18.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2014 10:57 AM

I would remove it from the domain and add it back.

• 19.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

Posted Feb 12, 2014 11:19 AM

Golden now .

Removed it from the domain and readded it ...and just in case also rebooted clearpass and we are all set...

The firewall seem to be blocking it..

Thanks guys

• 20.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

Posted Oct 09, 2014 11:09 AM

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue.

Our CPPM is currently not joined to any Active Directory domains.

However, it does have some Authentication Sources that are Active Directory domains and they are working without issue.

I am currently trying to add in a new source, but when the users attempt to authentication the same error message is generated.

I have tried few things, like adjusting the bind DN, and toggling "Allow bind using user password", as suggested here and in other posts.

I have read a few other posts in the forums about this error but can't seem to find what could be causing the issue in our case.

Any other suggestions?

Does joining the CPPM to an AD domain require a reboot?

Thank you,

Cheers

• 21.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2014 11:10 AM

What authentication method are you using with the new source? EAP-TLS or PEAP-MSCHAPv2?

You can join CPPM to a domain without rebooting.

• 22.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

Posted Oct 09, 2014 11:22 AM

Hopefully I understand correctly, but you are referring to the service portion?

Currently in my test service that has this new auth. source I have EAP-TLS and EAP-MSCHAPv2 because this service handles a couple of different scenarios of logon attempts.

That is good to know that I can join without rebooting. This might be the easiest thing I can try I guess?

• 23.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2014 11:23 AM

If you're using MSCHAPv2, you need to have your servers joined to AD.

• 24.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

Posted Oct 09, 2014 11:30 AM

oh really eh?

That is probably my issue then!

Okay I will try and join the CPPM to the AD domain and see if that makes a difference.

That explains why this one doesn't work and the other AD sources work because with those we are using EAP-TLS.

Sorry, I am sure that is documented somewhere!

Thank you for your quick response. I will reply back once I have a chance to test.

Just so I am sure, is there any risk in adding the CPPM to AD?

Cheers

• 25.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2014 11:32 AM

No risks. It's best practice. It just joins like a standard computer.

• 26.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

Posted Oct 09, 2014 11:36 AM

Thanks @cappalli!

as per usual your knowledge is a great help!

Will report back the results.

• 27.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

Posted Oct 09, 2014 12:20 PM

Should we explicitly define the name of a single domain controller in the "Domain Controller" field during the AD join wizard?

• 28.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2014 12:21 PM

You can either do that or use the return from DNS option along with the domain name.

• 29.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

Posted Oct 09, 2014 12:33 PM

I tried the option 'Use Domain Controller returned by DNS query' but receive the error

Failed to join domain: failed to lookup DC info for domain '<domain name>' over 
    rpc: Duplicate name on network

This error is being caused by the fact that the DNS query for our domain returns multiple IP's?

In this case maybe I should target just a single Domain Controller.

I looked at the Active Directory as well to make sure there wasn't already an account that existed for the CPPM and it doesn't look like there is one.

• 30.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2014 12:34 PM

OK, yes, just do a single DC. This is only for the domain join. The actual DCs used in authentication are defined in your authentication source.

• 31.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

Posted Oct 09, 2014 12:48 PM

That solved my problem.

I specified a specific domain controller and I was able to join our CPPM's.

As well now the clients auth. as expected

Thanks for all the help and sorry for all the questions!

• 32.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2014 12:49 PM

Nice, no problem!

Just be sure to add multiple domain controllers to your authentication source with the "Backup server" option.

• 33.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

Posted Oct 09, 2014 12:53 PM

Yeah that is an awesome feature I was that when I was creating the source for the first time!

I have since added in 2 additional DC's as a backup. Very cool feature!

One thing I did notice with the AD auth. source is that it doesn't seem to like the FQDN of either the domain or of a specific domain controller. We ended up having to use IP's only.

Not sure if that is normal behavior or not.

Thanks again!

Cheers

• 34.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2014 01:05 PM
    Hm. You definitely should be able to use FQDN. Is ClearPass pointed at your AD DNS?

• 35.  RE: CPPM AD Authentication Error Message : Reading windind reply failed!

Posted Oct 09, 2014 01:31 PM

It is point at the new AD DNS servers.

At first it wasn't. It was still using our old DNS servers. But we modified everything to point at the DNS of our AD servers.

We even went onto the command line of the CPPM and used nslookup to make sure everything would resolve correctly and it was working without an issue.

But for some reason when we use anything other than the IP it says that it cannot connect to the server on port 389.

I wonder if now that the CPPM is apart of the domain it will work correctly?

I should give that a try.

---------------------------------  EDIT

I was wrong.

Even after joining it doesn't let me use the FQDN.

Strange.