Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

CPPM - Game Consoles and Headless devices

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  CPPM - Game Consoles and Headless devices

Posted Jun 21, 2019 06:44 AM

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask if this is the best way to register Games consoles and any other devices that do not support a CP.

Have a main captive portal page with the following options:

-Staff/Student

-Visitors

-Game consoles

The customer could then publish the game console link on their intranet. The way I intended the game console registration to work was students logging on to the link and signing into Clearpass Guest portal.

They would then have access to a form that would display the following options:

• MAC address
    • Device name
    • AirGroup tick box
    • Ownership
    • Shared with
    • Account Activation
    • Account Expiration
    • Account Role
    • Notes
    • Terms of use

This would be the “create device” form, but I will need to make that as user friendly as possible. What fields would you recommend to use for Game console registration?

Is this the best way to have users register game consoles and any other headless devices, i.e their printers, firestick, consoles etc.

Are the any other ways of registering headless types of devices for students or is this self-registration the best way without any IT involvement?

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: CPPM - Game Consoles and Headless devices
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2019 06:46 AM
    Yes, this is exactly what Device Registration is built for.

I would recommend only showing the Device Name, Shared With, Role, Notes and Accept Terms fields. All of the others can be set with a default value and hidden.

Roles in this case would be the Device Roles (Game Console, Media Player, Printer, Smart Home, etc).

• 3.  RE: CPPM - Game Consoles and Headless devices

Posted Jun 21, 2019 06:53 AM

Thank you for your prompt response.

Would you recommend having the same form for all types of devices or create different forms.

I would recommend only showing the Device Name, Shared With, Role, Notes and Accept Terms fields. All of the others can be set with a default value and hidden.

Would this allow different devices to register on the same form?

Thanks,

• 4.  RE: CPPM - Game Consoles and Headless devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2019 06:56 AM
    Yes, same form. Roles would be the list of device types and the user selects. We only recommend different forms for different groups of users that may have more or less options (ex: staff vs student).

• 5.  RE: CPPM - Game Consoles and Headless devices

Posted Jun 21, 2019 06:59 AM

Thanks this makes sense now.

J